Re: I added Steranka/Steranko pics & documents

  • Debra
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2011
      Hi Beth,

      Just wondering how you obtained a copy of marriage records for Ss. Peter & Paul in Carnegie? --Since I'm sure I would have relatives in their church records I would love to know what they have. Regarding the Nellie Panko info you posted, I remember when I was young that my dad said we were related to Panko's who lived in Carnegie (who lived not very far from Ss Peter and Paul church--literally about 2 blocks away.) I remember Nellie Panko from my childhood -- we went to the same church. There was a boy around my age (I am 56) and his name was John Panko, I think. I am not sure whether we were related to Panko's from my dad's father's side (Volanski or Wolanski from Pryzbysow) or my dad's mother's side (Pituch from Wola Pietrowa).

      Debra

      --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "beskarupa" <beskarupa@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone!
      >
      > I added a folder in the pictures section titled John Steranka/Steranko. In the folder you will find John Steranko's birth record from Wola Petrowa, his marriage record from Ss. Peter & Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church in Carnegie, PA, his marriage license to Anastasia Panko from Tokarnia, John and Anastasia (called Nellie) tombstone, and the tombstone for their son's child Baby Steranko (son of Michael Steranko and Mary Popivchak). Let me know if I should put the documents in the documents section instead. I thought someone said they were easier to see and enlarge as photos, but I could have that wrong. Any new info on Steranko/Steranka, Panko, Ostafij/Ostapi, Labant, Lechita, Sadowski, Kril, is much appreciated. Thanks!
      >
      > Beth Skarupa

    • Debra
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2011
        Beth--I need to make a correction--I was thinking about the Panko's today, trying to remember anything about which side of my dad's family would have been connected, and I realized that I misspoke before--I remember Nellie "Kepple" (maybe it was spelled Keppel) from my childhood--she was definitely somehow related to Panko's and I believe her son was John Kepple who was close to my age.

        --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "Debra" <walenchok@...> wrote:

        > Hi Beth,
        >
        > Just wondering how you obtained a copy of marriage records for Ss. Peter & Paul in Carnegie? --Since I'm sure I would have relatives in their church records I would love to know what they have. Regarding the Nellie Panko info you posted, I remember when I was young that my dad said we were related to Panko's who lived in Carnegie (who lived not very far from Ss Peter and Paul church--literally about 2 blocks away.) I remember Nellie Panko from my childhood -- we went to the same church. There was a boy around my age (I am 56) and his name was John Panko, I think. I am not sure whether we were related to Panko's from my dad's father's side (Volanski or Wolanski from Pryzbysow) or my dad's mother's side (Pituch from Wola Pietrowa).
        >
        > Debra
        >
        > --- In bukowsko_triangle@yahoogroups.com, "beskarupa" <beskarupa@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello everyone!
        > >
        > > I added a folder in the pictures section titled John Steranka/Steranko. In the folder you will find John Steranko's birth record from Wola Petrowa, his marriage record from Ss. Peter & Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church in Carnegie, PA, his marriage license to Anastasia Panko from Tokarnia, John and Anastasia (called Nellie) tombstone, and the tombstone for their son's child Baby Steranko (son of Michael Steranko and Mary Popivchak). Let me know if I should put the documents in the documents section instead. I thought someone said they were easier to see and enlarge as photos, but I could have that wrong. Any new info on Steranko/Steranka, Panko, Ostafij/Ostapi, Labant, Lechita, Sadowski, Kril, is much appreciated. Thanks!
        > >
        > > Beth Skarupa

      • Debra
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2011
          Hi Frank,

          Thanks for the info on Maria Panko. I would love the contact info from your cousin in Sanok. RE the name being Lemko, Polish,... I have found that a lot of Ukrainian names end in 'nko' or 'ko' and that ending doesn't seem to occur much in other ethnicities. I'm certainly no expert. I pulled the following from Wikipedia.org Ukrainian Surnames: "The Ukrainian surnames can be easily recognized by the most common suffix -nko (Shevchenko, Hordiyenko, Tereshchenko) or less common -ko (Sirko, Pavlychko, Boiko). Another common suffix in surnames that reflects the Ukrainian origin is -chuk (Polishchuk, Palamarchuk, Balanchuk) or its simplified versions -yuk and -uk or -yak and -ak (Palahnyuk, Mochulyak, Romanyuk). Suffixes -ko and -chuk are considered to be patronymic.