Re: Lemko Photos was: Kwartalnik summer issue

  • Donna Lamerson
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 24, 2011
      Where can get a copy of Kwartalnik summer issue?

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 24, 2011
        Donna,

        The "Kwartalnik" is published quarterly so there's not really a summer
        issue. I think you and Marie were referring to the second issue for 2011.

        Here's a link to the Bukowsko gmina home page:
        http://www.bukowsko.pl/asp/start.asp?page=&tytul=Aktualno%B6ci&dzial=Aktualnosci&strona=1

        Half-way down the page on the right side, under Kwartalniki, click on
        "Numery". On the page that comes up click on the flashing words in
        red, "wydanie biezace" for the current (summer) issue.
        Older issues are archived below that.

        Print copies are only available in Bukowsko and area village stores.

        Debbie

        Donna Lamerson wrote:
        > Where can get a copy of Kwartalnik summer issue?

      • Marcelaj111
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 24, 2011

          Soo glad you like it.
          Here is a link to second part of pictures:

          http://youtu.be/C_kMliCBPQ0
          Enjoy!

          Maria

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 26, 2011
            can anyone tell me is the music playing during these pictures lemko music and if so who are the singers??
            Marie

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 26, 2011
              On Jul 26, 2011, at 9:45 PM, Marie Hughes wrote:

              > can anyone tell me is the music playing during these pictures lemko music and if so who are the singers??

              hi Marie,
              I liked the music too. The credits at the end of the first YouTube link give the musicians as Widymo:
              http://www.widymo.pl/

              There's some free music on their site.

              You and others on this list might also be interested in the music of Даха Браха (Dakha Brakha) which is a Ukrainian band that mixes Slavic folk with other traditions and does it all with a modern sensibility. I like them a lot, and they offer two complete albums for free on their site:
              http://www.dakhabrakha.com.ua/

              Happy listening

              > On Jul 24, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:
              >
              >> Maria,
              >>
              >> The photos are wonderful! I recognize so many of the village names
              >> from the Bukowsko Roman Catholic records; many villages which don't
              >> exist any more.
              >>
              >> Kudos to Sanok library for putting these on line. More posts to the
              >> YouTube presentation might encourage the library to continue
              >> "publishing" photos like these.
              >>
              >> For those interested, I bet the library has a lot more old photos.
              >>
              >> Debbie
              >>
              >> Marcelaj111 wrote:
              >>> Hello,
              >>> Here is a link to old pictures of Sanok and area, posted by Sanok Library. Enjoy!
              >>>
              >>> http://youtu.be/htaq9eOPKYA
              >>>
              >>> Maria

            • mary osborne
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 26, 2011
                Maria,

                Thank you so very much for the links to the Sanok library photos.  The photos of the church in Jablonki blew me away.  My ancestors worshiped there and in its filial church in Kolonice.  I have seen only one other photo of the Jablonki church and none of the Kolonice church.

                Your information has spread from me to five very appreciative distant relatives of mine whom I did know existed until a few short months ago.  I will meet them in September.  Two of them, aged 88 and 92, saw for the first time the church in which their father was baptized.  I'm sure the photos are now moving out in a huge circle to their family members, just as they are moving out to my own immediate family.

                Thank you also to everyone who works so hard and efficiently to sponsor this group and to all of you who generously share your knowledge and discoveries that could interest other members of the group.

                Mary O.

              • Marie Hughes
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 27, 2011
                  Hey Philip,
                  I haven't forgotten about sending you the map of Przybyszow.........I need to do a bunch of transfer and mailing and plan on doing that next week. I think my brain melted in the heat here but will get on it. I will give you a heads up when it goes out. Also, thanks for the link on the music...I'm a fan.
                  Marie

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 27, 2011
                    On Jul 27, 2011, at 5:22 PM, Marie Hughes wrote:

                    > Hey Philip,
                    > I haven't forgotten about sending you the map of Przybyszow.........I need to do a bunch of transfer and mailing and plan on doing that next week. I think my brain melted in the heat here but will get on it. I will give you a heads up when it goes out.

                    Hmm, I'd forgotten about it because your email has gotten buried in my inbox. Thanks for remembering! I look forward to your mail.

                    > Also, thanks for the link on the music...I'm a fan.

                    You're welcome...are you a fan of one or both?

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 28, 2011

                      You know she and "we" are a fan of yours as well!

                      > You're welcome...are you a fan of one or both?
                      > Cheers
                    • Marie Hughes
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 28, 2011
                        Yep, Debbie's right! I prefer the music from the original site with the pictures....Widymo but I have to say that the website of dakhabrakha is pretty intense. dakharbrkha site's music is almost arabic sounding to me. Can you tell me is this typical rusyn sounding from past eras or is this a modern take on the slavic sound?
                        Marie

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29, 2011
                          On Jul 28, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Debbie Greenlee wrote:

                          > Philip,
                          >
                          > You know she and "we" are a fan of yours as well!

                          Thank you. =)

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2011
                            On Jul 28, 2011, at 4:19 PM, Marie Hughes wrote:

                            > Yep, Debbie's right! I prefer the music from the original site with the pictures....Widymo but I have to say that the website of dakhabrakha is pretty intense. dakharbrkha site's music is almost arabic sounding to me. Can you tell me is this typical rusyn sounding from past eras or is this a modern take on the slavic sound?

                            I can't profess to know much about how Rusyn music sounds. (If one could even agree on a definition for the term. I've heard the Sven Zetterberg blues band in Stockholm, is that Swedish music?) Даха Браха/Dakha Brakha is composed of Ukrainian musicians that describe their music as "ethno chaos", and I seem to recall that their Web site says they're formally trained. So I think your description of "modern take on the slavic sound" fits the bill. I think they like Slavic folk and enjoy mixing it up with other musical traditions. "Intense" is a good word to describe them.

                            At the end of one of their live songs they thank the crowd in Russian (spasibo) rather than Ukrainian (dzyakuyju). I think they're based in Kiev and that part of Ukraine is heavily Russian-speaking, so the word choice is no big surprise. But it seems to me that if they're Russian speakers from the big city it makes it less likely that they're steeped in the traditions of the southwest Carpathians.

                            My 2 kopeks

                            > On Jul 27, 2011, at 9:03 PM, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
                            >

                            >> On Jul 27, 2011, at 5:22 PM, Marie Hughes wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Hey Philip,
                            >>> I haven't forgotten about sending you the map of Przybyszow.........I need to do a bunch of transfer and mailing and plan on doing that next week. I think my brain melted in the heat here but will get on it. I will give you a heads up when it goes out.
                            >>
                            >> Hmm, I'd forgotten about it because your email has gotten buried in my inbox. Thanks for remembering! I look forward to your mail.
                            >>
                            >>> Also, thanks for the link on the music...I'm a fan.
                            >>
                            >> You're welcome...are you a fan of one or both?
                            >>
                            >> Cheers

                          • Marcelaj111
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 2, 2011
                              Mary,
                              I'm sooo glad I've posted the link. This is a purpose of Bukowsko Triangle to share and to learn more about our ancestors.