Re: [bukowsko_triangle] Lemko Wedding Music - How to convert LP to MP-3?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
      On Dec 31, 2010, at 9:21 PM, Corinna C wrote:

      > Hey BT-ers,
      >
      > Does anyone know how to convert vinyl records to MP3/digital format OR do you have any suggestions for how to get this done? I have just acquired a Lemko Wedding album from Ebay (score!) - this music was originally recorded in Poland in the 1920s (so it's music by the Lemkos of Poland) and released on LP in the 1950s. What I'd like to do is try to convert it, and would be happy to provide CDs to people on BT who would like to have the music. This is the first time I've come across anything like this - usually the music I have found is more on the Rusyn/Slovak side, so I'd imagine it's somewhat rare.
      >
      > Stephen Skimba was the producer.

      Hi Corinna,
      I've done this before. The hardest part for me was finding someone who still had a working turntable. Here's how I remember it: the turntable was plugged into my friend's amplifier which had an "auxiliary out". I ran a cable from that into the audio in jack on my laptop, fired up some recording software, dropped the needle on the record and it worked fine.

      That said, there's probably places in the city where you live that will do this for you. It might be easier than fussing around with it yourself.

      Hope this helps
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2011
        Corinna,

        Um, this may not surprise you but I have a turntable. I don't however
        have one of those new fangled MP-3 things.

        > On Dec 31, 2010, at 9:21 PM, Corinna C wrote:
        >
        >> Hey BT-ers,
        >>
        >> Does anyone know how to convert vinyl records to MP3/digital format OR do you have any suggestions for how to get this done? I have just acquired a Lemko Wedding album from Ebay (score!) - this music was originally recorded in Poland in the 1920s (so it's music by the Lemkos of Poland) and released on LP in the 1950s. What I'd like to do is try to convert it, and would be happy to provide CDs to people on BT who would like to have the music. This is the first time I've come across anything like this - usually the music I have found is more on the Rusyn/Slovak side, so I'd imagine it's somewhat rare.
        >>
        >> Stephen Skimba was the producer.
        >

        > Hi Corinna,
        > I've done this before. The hardest part for me was finding someone who still had a working turntable. Here's how I remember it: the turntable was plugged into my friend's amplifier which had an "auxiliary out". I ran a cable from that into the audio in jack on my laptop, fired up some recording software, dropped the needle on the record and it worked fine.
        >
        > That said, there's probably places in the city where you live that will do this for you. It might be easier than fussing around with it yourself.
        >
        > Hope this helps

      • Corinna C
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
          Thanks...
          All things considered, I think I will try to find a service that does this. If that doesn't work, I'll try this with my Dad's Marantz turntable (LOL) next time I visit Pittsburgh, or perhaps buy one of those contraptions that Gail's post highlighted. Anyway, I'll let you know when I get it done and if it comes out okay.

          :) I appreciate the responses.
          p.s. @Debbie - Mp3 can no longer be considered "new fangled." LOL - had to tease you there. Not that I'm high tech...ha ha.