Off Topic - Member in Need

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      I have Philip's permission to post this.

      Elzbieta Kseniak Reiser, one of our members and one of our cousins has
      been diagnosed with Leukemia. I saw Ela in Bukowsko in July looking
      healthy and active. Back home in Illinois (in August) Ela was
      diagnosed with this life threatening disease. Ela has received two
      rounds of chemotherapy but needs a bone marrow transplant in order to
      survive.

      Ela has five brothers and sisters and _none_ of them were a match. We
      were devastated. So far there has not been a match in the National
      Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) either.

      I am asking all of you to consider being tested to be a bone marrow
      donor. There is no telling where Ela's match will come from but I
      figured this group could have the donor.

      There are qualifications before you even take the first test and these
      can be found on the NMDP web site:
      http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/index.html?src=tabjoin

      The initial test is similar to the one used for the DNA genealogy
      testing (Family Tree DNA). The NMDP sends you 4 cotton swabs to swab
      the inside of your cheek. You mail the swabs back in and then wait a
      few weeks for the results. If there is an initial match more
      information and testing is done. Contact is handled via email
      initially and you don't have to leave your home.
      http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/index.html?src=tabjoin

      I sent in my test last week. As a distant cousin to Ela the likelihood
      of me being a match is small but I decided this was something I had to do.

      I am not asking anyone to post to the list about this. There won't be
      a tally sheet. Being a bone marrow donor is a very private and
      important decision. I am willing to answer questions as best I can
      though so please don't hesitate to write me privately.

      Thanks for considering the gift of life.