3364Building a spare rig - Any ideas?

  • mdjchat
    May 22, 2006
      Hey folks just joined this group in search of advice, I'm slowly
      improving my computer literacy but so far have only researched newer
      components.

      I'm looking to build a Pentium 3 PC for as little as possible, the
      main aim behind this (apart from getting to build it) is to get a
      spare rig on which to run Linux and Folding@Home. As I'm new to
      computing I have no idea what P3 stuff is good and what isn't, thats
      hopefully where you can help.

      I've figured that with P3 components currently costing so little I
      could get a once top of the range motherboard with onboard sound in
      socket 370, for graphics I'd just get a cheap NVidia card as Linux
      seems to function best with those. Optical drives, HDD's e.t.c. I'm ok
      with - its mostly just a question of which motherboard.
      I have a PSU taken out of a recently purchased P4 rig that I believe
      ought to work with P3 (its a 24 pin supply for the P4).

      Any help you can offer would be great thanks - Mat

      Hopefully I'll also be able to contribute a few answers here and there
      when it comes to newer kit!