Re: [buildcheapeeg] Software requirements

  • Joel Eriksson
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 12 8:02 AM
      On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 04:23:13PM +0200, Buttlar wrote:
      > The problem is that the implementation of the complete IrDA software
      > architecture (IrCOMM layer) is quite difficult on a microcontroller
      > and there´s no GPL/open source code available.

      Hmm, Linux has support for IrCOMM so much could be probably be "stolen"
      from their implementation..?

      > some direct access to the raw data received by the host PC
      > so that it would be possible to develop one´s own protocol. If this is
      > possible, IrDA would be a great choice. Maybe you could check that out
      > somehow ? The implementation of the hardware IrDA specifications is quite
      > easy.

      I agree, it would be great if IrDA was at least an alternative to RS232.

      > >2) What software platforms and OSs does the CheapEEG software need to
      > >support? This will require a variety of input for each additional
      > >configuration needed.
      >
      > I'd like Linux and Windows support. It would be great if we could develop
      > the software using gcc and then compile it
      > for windows and linux without changing much of the code.

      Yup, most Unix/Linux software can be compiled under Cygwin without
      any major changes so that will probably not be a big problem.

      --
      Joel Eriksson
    • dev
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 12 11:45 AM
        I have just joined this group and still getting an overview of everything
        that is trying to be done. I am relatively new to eeg, but I have been
        studying it for a while now to build a good computer brain interface. I have
        over 12 years experience in Computers, a wide range of everything, graphics,
        3d modeling, troubleshooting, electronics, and of various different
        platforms. So here is my 2 cents for now.
        Software needs to be Windows 2000 or WindowsXP based, all DOS and windows
        9x/ME is obsolete already. As for linux, I love it, but unless you have a
        competent programmer in C/C++ as well as GTK or any of the 30 GUI language
        for X-Windows, you will be wasting a lot of time. If you want to go that
        route, make sure you use C/C++ so it can be easily ported back and forth.
        And how do you plan on analyzing the data? Or are you just displaying it
        with a GUI first? I have seen some that feed 16 inputs from 32 electrodes
        into a Back prop Neural Network that can be trained for certain thought
        patterns.

        -- Jeff

        > 2) What software platforms

        I'd say just make it run on Win98/ME/2000 and that'll handle
        95% of the current desires. Make it run on Linux in addition,
        and you'll be at the 99% level likely for at least 10 years.

        > 3) What is the precision needed? sampling rates?

        Professional stuff starts at 12 bits-per-sample, two channels,
        256 samples-per-second (on each). The analog/digital stuff in
        the proposed circuits here seem to target 10 bits-per-sample.
        That's probably fine, since a couple of actual low-end clinical
        systems just use 8 bits-per-sample, though that's pushing it.
        The 256 samples-per-second seems to be acceptable, as the highest
        frequency most people ever use is 42Hz, and 256/sec seems to be
        the standard export format. Four channels is probably all that
        could ever be asked for for NFB, though QEEG'ers might want 32.
        I'd settle for two. Even handling two sets of electrodes starts
        not being fun.

        > 4) An output API

        There need to be two windows that provide feedback. One for
        the subject, one for the operator. Even for non-clinical use,
        and for subect-is-the-operator, I'd say this is the case. The
        subject screen has some kind of games/animation -- with sound.
        This should be handled via plug-in modules to allow flexibility,
        as "games" covers a lot. The operator screen should also be via
        plug-ins, as handling operator info has a lot of variability,
        depending, at least, on how many channels are implemented. One
        really useful operator screen is a "bilateral frequency mirror"
        as the operator view for a two-channel system. The Windows
        systems I specified can automatically use multiple display-cards,
        so the two windows can easily be separated onto two monitors.
        Everything beyond this is gravy.

        - Lenny Gray -

      • Joel Eriksson
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 12 12:21 PM
          On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 02:45:10PM -0400, dev wrote:
          > Software needs to be Windows 2000 or WindowsXP based, all DOS and windows
          > 9x/ME is obsolete already. As for linux, I love it, but unless you have a
          > competent programmer in C/C++ as well as GTK or any of the 30 GUI language
          > for X-Windows, you will be wasting a lot of time. If you want to go that
          > route, make sure you use C/C++ so it can be easily ported back and forth.

          I would be surprised if anyone have even considered any other language than
          C/C++.. :-) Hmm, it may be true that DOS and Windows 9x/ME is obsolete now
          and that new software for MS-users should be for Windows 2000 or Windows XP,
          but that says more about MS than anything else .. Just make sure the code is
          POSIX- and ANSI C compatible and use a portable GUI library like SDL (libsdl.org)
          for applications with visual interfaces.

          > And how do you plan on analyzing the data? Or are you just displaying it
          > with a GUI first? I have seen some that feed 16 inputs from 32 electrodes
          > into a Back prop Neural Network that can be trained for certain thought
          > patterns.

          I think the base software should be CLI based, then GUI:s could just be
          frontends and it would be easy for knowledgable users to build their own
          software (CLI or GUI) to analyze the data and do whatever with it.

          --
          Joel Eriksson
        • yaniv_vi@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 12 11:27 PM
            hi
            it's really cool that your all starting to work seriously on specs!!!

            i have one comment :
            when you think about this software , i think it should be fit to
            next version of cheapeeg.
            my view of the next versions are (just ideas)
            1. very low cost version , that the input to pc will come from
            soundblaster input .
            2. a neurofeedback+biofeedback device . i read some abstarct that
            combining nfb and bfb is much faster way to learn self control on
            both . i don't know exactly how it would be implemented ,
            but i think minimum 8 channels , with sampling rate that would
            make emg (muscle) feedback available .
            i'll post some message to our nfb pros and ask .
            does it make it alot more complicated ? why ?

            so if the sw could fit top this it would be much better .
            also i thin it should be build in such a way the all or at least
            most companies with nfb /bfb device could work with it by just
            writing the sw driver .

            also one little idea : is there as possible interface to some kind of
            math language like matlab / some grapick programming language , etc ?
            because it would be much easier for research and trying all sort
            of things , like fuzzy logic or many others , and after some new idea
            shown it's worth - then some programmer could code it .
            this is a vey good way to promote innovation .
            the only problm that might be is real time . how do you sole such
            problem ?

            sincerly yaniv vilnai .
            --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., Buttlar <mb981282@m...> wrote:

            > Hi !
            >
            > Great that you start getting together the specifications :)
            >
            > >As a project leader in several previous development efforts I
            begin
            > >by asking questions revolving around previous design decisions
            > >especially about hardware. Although my expertise is not in
            interface
            > >APIs I can ask a few pertinent questions.
            > >
            > >1) I understand by reading many of the posts that the hardware
            will
            > >contain the A/D converters and an RS-232 serial port is the
            expected
            > >output method. If I am wrong, please correct me. Why is this
            method
            > >chosen? Have you considered a USB port? parallel port? Have you
            > >considered using a well designed sound card to perform the A/D
            > >conversion? What were the critical design constrains that lead to
            > >this choice? Answers to these questions can help with the
            definition
            > >of requirements for the software interface API.
            >
            > RS232 is available on most systems. It´s fast enough for our
            purpose, easy
            > to design the hardware and the software,
            > easy to isolate (at least easier then USB), easy to debug, cheap.
            Soundcard
            > was considered but it has a lot of disadvantages regarding
            > optical, linear isolation and an built-in bandwith limit for low
            frequency
            > signals. Parallel port would be possible but it doesn´t give
            advantage over
            > the serial port except higher bandwith for data (but we don´t need
            higher
            > bandwith). We also considered IrDA.
            > This would be a great alternative to RS232 because it has inherent
            > isolation safety which would maybe decrease the amount of safety
            testing
            > required.
            > The problem is that the implementation of the complete IrDA software
            > architecture (IrCOMM layer) is quite difficult on a microcontroller
            > and there´s no GPL/open source code available. The question is if
            there´s
            > some direct access to the raw data received by the host PC
            > so that it would be possible to develop one´s own protocol. If this
            is
            > possible, IrDA would be a great choice. Maybe you could check that
            out
            > somehow ? The implementation of the hardware IrDA specifications is
            quite
            > easy.
            >

            > >2) What software platforms and OSs does the CheapEEG software need
            > >support? This will require a variety of input for each additional
            > >configuration needed.
            >
            > I´d like Linux and Windows support. It would be great if we could
            develop
            > the software using gcc and then compile it
            > for windows and linux without changing much of the code.
            >

            > >Is there any on-board memory or CPU control
            > >expectations for the hardware sensing unit?
            >

            > The cheapeeg can also receive commands. Once sampling is started,
            the
            > cheapeeg will send data on it´s own without any
            > special commands/timing or whatever needed.
            >

            > >3) What is the precision needed? sampling rates? quantity of data
            > >expected? timing constraints?
            >
            > It would be great if the software would process at least 16 bit
            data so
            > that we can upgrade the cheapeeg later without
            > rewriting the software. Sampling frequency <=256Hz, 2-4 channels
            >

            > >4) For neurofeedback, an output API will be needed in addition to
            an
            > >input API. What are the expected output mechanisms? visual?
            audible
            > >or EM signal? What devices are expected to be used for
            entrainment?
            > >Computer screen? headphones? Light glasses? Mag-stim headset?
            > >combination of above?
            >

            > Probably a combination of the above. Maybe we could use fuzzy-logic
            > trigger the feedback devices ?
            > I think that would be a great technique to use for triggering only
            when
            > multiple requirements are fulfilled.
            > Did anybody ever use fuzzy logic for neurofeedback ? I´d like to
            experiment
            > with that.
            >

            > >5) What kind of user interface is expected to operate the unit?
            DOS

          • yaniv_vi@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 12 11:28 PM
[...]

              maybe also find some tool/language that a nfb practicioner could use
              very easily and have the option to connect it to the sw.
              this is a very good way to promote innovation .

            • frans
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 13 10:55 AM

                Hi Yaniv and other members,

                I was thinking of a MODULAIR BFB/NFB SYSTEM.

                *Computer interface including .
                * Module 1, EEG for neurofeedback.
                * Module  2, ECG
                * Module 3, GSR (very effective for anxiety)
                * Module 4, Temperature FB.
                * Module 5, EMG

                If one suffers from high blood pressure or anxiety one can choose the best module.
                In such cases one can experience BFB for this is not
                only effective, but also easy to do. NFB is not some-
                thing you can do just like that.
                Also if you read different cases, you would find that
                a combination of NFB/BFB is common use.

                For example: a jong man with attention dissorder
                was trained with NFB, but the therapist also found
                some anxiety, therefore using Temp. FB to compleet
                the therapy.

                To make NFB accessible for everyone is okay, but
                its also common use that professionals first study BFB.
                I think a good basic foundation in general BFB will
                be best for all non-professionals.

                I am aware of the fact that such a design brings a lot
                of problems, sinds- for example- amp-input/design
                depents on what data to process (EEG,EMG).

                Perhaps EEG, EMG, GSR, TEMP, ECG modules
                each a compleet set/analog part.
                A multi-functional digital interface (without analog part).
                In this case one can buy or build the pc-interface and
                then choos a module, to start with.

                Such a system would be accessible for everyone.
                Software design incl. games would be better sinds
                SW-members could concentrate on a specific module,
                become more professional in that area of BFB.
                This is for the benefit of the group.

                A this moment everyone would try to build SW for
                only one system. SW for EEG would be much more
                complex for some members who would like to help programming but cannot match up with EEG. A module for only blood pressure or hearbeat (not ECG) is simple
                but would give less experienced programmers a change
                to improve there skills, and also would make those
                active members. Working on different modules would
                then result in lots of SW so as to find the best SW or
                to compare/change/improve designs.

                The project then would be accessible for starters
                in HW/SW/microcontroller tech/digital systems...
                All could learn al lot in this case.
                Also the experience with the modules by all members
                - once build in proto- would give all of us practical
                information to improve our overall skills and knowlegde.

                Finally, a starters module like GSR would be not so
                expencive and therefore ideal for beginner/student or
                experimenter with low-budget.

                So my fellow-members, a modulair system would
                reach more people, poor, rich, student, proffesional,
                HW/SW builders/constructors, potential customers,
                people with special demands (illness, peak performance).............

                Thanks..
                Best Regards.
                Frans.

              • peterson@discover-net.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 13 4:43 PM
                  --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., "frans" <f.smith@c...> wrote:

                  > Hi Yaniv and other members,
                  >
                  > I was thinking of a MODULAIR BFB/NFB SYSTEM.
                  >
                  > *Computer interface including .
                  > * Module 1, EEG for neurofeedback.
                  > * Module 2, ECG
                  > * Module 3, GSR (very effective for anxiety)
                  > * Module 4, Temperature FB.
                  > * Module 5, EMG

                  This is an absolutely fascinating idea. I think most of the
                  biofeedback equipment on the market is grossly overpriced, and if it
                  were more commonly available a whole lot of people would be better
                  served. This would by no means reduce the need for therapists, who
                  would be able to keep themselves very busy as "coaches." One very
                  interesting new area is heart rate variability (based either on
                  EKG/ecg or on a finger pulse sensor), which seems to be important in
                  reducing the potential for heart attacks, etc. The process of
                  learning to increase your heart rate variability apparently involves
                  learning to be less angry. I don't really understand the whole
                  psychophysiology of it, but there is a website, www.heartmath.com,
                  that I think some of us might find interesting to check out.

                  Nevertheless, I really hope these side excursions do not distract us
                  from accomplishing our main purpose of developing the openEEG system.
                  --Jim Peterson
                • yaniv_vi@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 14 5:42 AM
                    hi
                    1. about my goal - it was just to design the s.w. with some option
                    that in future it could be used for bfb/nfb . just not to do the same
                    work twice in the future . i know it delays in some when open source
                    s.w. is ready but , we have some nfb soft and second it's the right
                    way to work .
                    2.about bfb , there's on type of bfb that is very simple to do -
                    hand temperature biofeedback. the tools are cheap and availble
                    - a simple digital thermometer .but still it's not very used
                    technique . why ? can anybody start working on this area ?
                    because to some extent i think the same things that prevent
                    nfb from bein popular , and the same things that prevent thermal
                    bfb from being popular .
                    and i think if we do some serious work on making thermal bfb
                    popular we have a stronger base for making nfb popular .
                    it might be very helpfull to our goal (giving the power of nfb
                    to public) .
                    3. on a personal note , could someone write a serious note on thermal
                    training ? because i have started on this , and i have a few
                    questions , like for example what temp should i achieve ?
                    what techinques can i use to achieve lowe temp ???

                    sincerly yaniv vilani

                  • peterson@discover-net.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 14 9:04 AM
                      --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., yaniv_vi@y... wrote:
                      > hi
                      > 1. about my goal - it was just to design the s.w. with some option
                      > that in future it could be used for bfb/nfb . just not to do the
                      same
                      > work twice in the future . i know it delays in some when open
                      source
                      > s.w. is ready but , we have some nfb soft and second it's the right
                      > way to work .
                      > 2.about bfb , there's on type of bfb that is very simple to do -
                      > hand temperature biofeedback. the tools are cheap and availble
                      > - a simple digital thermometer .but still it's not very used
                      > technique . why ? can anybody start working on this area ?
                      > because to some extent i think the same things that prevent
                      > nfb from bein popular , and the same things that prevent thermal
                      > bfb from being popular .
                      > and i think if we do some serious work on making thermal bfb
                      > popular we have a stronger base for making nfb popular .
                      > it might be very helpfull to our goal (giving the power of nfb
                      > to public) .
                      > 3. on a personal note , could someone write a serious note on
                      thermal
                      > training ? because i have started on this , and i have a few
                      > questions , like for example what temp should i achieve ?
                      > what techinques can i use to achieve lowe temp ???

                      You're absolutely rightr about the value of temperature training, and
                      the cheapness of the equipment. Actually, I use it a lot because the
                      equipment is so cheap that one can do it in groups, with an
                      instrument for each participant. You can use almost any thermometer
                      that you can hold in your fingers, such as a glass alcohol
                      thermometer with an exposed bulb you can grasp, but I buy simple $10
                      indoor-outdoor thermometers from Harbor Freight
                      (www.harborfreight.com). You switch the thermometer onto Outdoor and
                      hold the end of the probe with the thermocouple between your fingers.
                      These are good thermometers because they sample temperature every
                      couple of seconds. Many other I/O thermometers, like the ones Radio
                      Shack sells, only sample every 10 or 15 seconds and that's too slow
                      for feedback. We generally try to get people up to 96 F (35.5 C)
                      finger temperature. To accomplish this, you can use many approaches,
                      such as listening to a progressive muscle relaxation tape or an
                      autogenics tape. Or just keep repeating to yourself words
                      like "Soft, warm, heavy, limp" (limp as in loose, free of muscle
                      tension) and trying to increase these feelings in your body.

                      Hope this is helpful.
                      Jim

                      > --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., peterson@d... wrote:
                      > > --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., "frans" <f.smith@c...> wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Hi Yaniv and other members,
                      > > >
                      > > > I was thinking of a MODULAIR BFB/NFB SYSTEM.
                      > > >
                      > > > *Computer interface including .
                      > > > * Module 1, EEG for neurofeedback.
                      > > > * Module 2, ECG
                      > > > * Module 3, GSR (very effective for anxiety)
                      > > > * Module 4, Temperature FB.
                      > > > * Module 5, EMG
                      > > >
                      > > This is an absolutely fascinating idea. I think most of the
                      > > biofeedback equipment on the market is grossly overpriced, and if
                      > it
                      > > were more commonly available a whole lot of people would be
                      better
                      > > served. This would by no means reduce the need for therapists,
                      who
                      > > would be able to keep themselves very busy as "coaches." One
                      very
                      > > interesting new area is heart rate variability (based either on
                      > > EKG/ecg or on a finger pulse sensor), which seems to be important
                      > in
                      > > reducing the potential for heart attacks, etc. The process of
                      > > learning to increase your heart rate variability apparently
                      > involves
                      > > learning to be less angry. I don't really understand the whole
                      > > psychophysiology of it, but there is a website,
                      www.heartmath.com,
                      > > that I think some of us might find interesting to check out.
                      > >
                      > > Nevertheless, I really hope these side excursions do not distract
                      > us
                      > > from accomplishing our main purpose of developing the openEEG
                      > system.
                      > > --Jim Peterson
                    • frans
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 14 10:00 AM
                        Hi,
                        Temperature Feed Back.

                        Lets asume the temperature of the human body is
                        37 degree's Celsius. A to high temp. would be fever.

                        Raising only one or two degree's celsius could be done,
                        but it works slowly. GSR for example react fast.
                        From all the bfb methods temp. is the slowest.
                        One can use temp. with succes, but the problem is dat it
                        works slow.
                        A therapist must convince a client he/she can control his/
                        her body. At least some parts of it.
                        If this would take to long, then the client would not be
                        building confidence.  A qiuck prove that one can influence
                        one's body-processes gives client confidence.

                        Temp, is used in anxiety. There is some illness where
                        people suffer from bad blood circulation. Raising the
                        temp, in an given area can improve the condition.
                        A higher body temp. at a given location indicates more
                        blood circulation. Only logic then to use temp. for con-
                        ditions where you need to have better blood circulation.

                        In my opinion Temp.FB, is only important in the above
                        conditions, and for experiments. In autogenic training people learn to relax, raise the temp. of arms and legs etc..
                        If you would try this you would notic its easy with arms and your feets. But if you try to raise the temp of any
                        onther part of the body it would be not that easy.

                        For example, in mind-control class, i could feel heat in my
                        feets and lower legs, and in my hands. Notat the top of
                        my head, or in my neck....To become more sensitive to
                        other parts of the body temp.FB is ideal. But again, it
                        works slow.

                        EEG can be used for depression sinds some wave patterns correlate to depression (according to rechearch).
                        GSR, Temp, ECG, EMG, are only physiological reactions
                        due to some problems like fear, stress etc...

                        Most BFB learn us to react different to events, social or
                        psychological proplems. Controlling our reaction to some
                        event makes that a event does not control us anymore...

                        F. smith

                      • peterson@discover-net.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 14 12:53 PM
                          --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., "frans" <f.smith@c...> wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          > Temperature Feed Back.
                          >
                          > Lets asume the temperature of the human body is
                          > 37 degree's Celsius. A to high temp. would be fever.
                          >
                          > Raising only one or two degree's celsius could be done,
                          > but it works slowly. GSR for example react fast.
                          > From all the bfb methods temp. is the slowest.
                          > One can use temp. with succes, but the problem is dat it
                          > works slow.

                          I think that temperature is very much underrated as a biofeedback
                          procedure--not just by you, Frans, butr by many professionals in the
                          field as well. True, temperature responses are somewhat slow, but
                          that can actually be an advantage. If the instrumentation doesn't
                          pick up every fleeting change and orienting response like EDR does,
                          they are less distracted by the equipment and seem better able to
                          focus on the relaxation process. People in relatively high anxiety
                          states often start out with fingers at (or only slightly above) room
                          temperature (~20 C). To get from there to 35 C is pretty impressive,
                          and because the electronic thermometers read in 0.10 degree
                          increments, they get a lot of feedback about even very small
                          temperature changes. In my experience, it takes about 6 to 10
                          sessions of training before people learn to reliably get to the 35 or
                          35.5 degree criterion. I have had really wonderful clinical results
                          with these simple devices in many cases. At the AAPB convention in
                          Denver, Dr. Pat Norris (daugher of Elmer Green, a pioneer in EEG
                          biofeedback, who with her husband Steve Fahrion has done a lot of EEG
                          biofeedback work) presented a whole session on temperature training.
                          She ties it in with a variety of approaches including Assagioli's
                          psychosynthesis. Also, Gene Peniston (originator of neurotherapy for
                          addictions) always uses temperature training in the first few
                          sessions before putting his patients onto the EEG equipment, partly
                          because it helps them to see the connection between mind and body,
                          and partly because it helps prepare them for the alpha-theta training.

                          Get a cheap thermometer and try it. You may be surprised--but make
                          sure it amples temp every couple of seconds like the Harbor Freight
                          ones do, or like the ones commonly sold especially for biofeedback
                          do. Biomedical Instruments sells a special biofeedback thermometer
                          for about $20 if you want something a little fancier than the Harbor
                          Freight version I mentioned earlier.

                          A therapist must convince a client he/she can control his/
                          > her body. At least some parts of it.
                          > If this would take to long, then the client would not be
                          > building confidence. A qiuck prove that one can influence
                          > one's body-processes gives client confidence.

                          In my experience, people do learn to change finger temperature quite
                          easily and quickly. They almost always start getting useful results
                          in the first session, and these are only 15 or 20 minute sessions.

                          > Temp, is used in anxiety. There is some illness where
                          > people suffer from bad blood circulation. Raising the
                          > temp, in an given area can improve the condition.
                          > A higher body temp. at a given location indicates more
                          > blood circulation. Only logic then to use temp. for con-
                          > ditions where you need to have better blood circulation.
                          >
                          > In my opinion Temp.FB, is only important in the above
                          > conditions, and for experiments. In autogenic training people learn
                          to relax, raise the temp. of arms and legs etc..
                          > If you would try this you would notic its easy with arms and your
                          feets. But if you try to raise the temp of any
                          > onther part of the body it would be not that easy.
                          >
                          > For example, in mind-control class, i could feel heat in my
                          > feets and lower legs, and in my hands. Notat the top of
                          > my head, or in my neck....To become more sensitive to
                          > other parts of the body temp.FB is ideal. But again, it
                          > works slow.
                          >
                          > EEG can be used for depression sinds some wave patterns correlate
                          to depression (according to rechearch).
                          > GSR, Temp, ECG, EMG, are only physiological reactions
                          > due to some problems like fear, stress etc...
                          >
                          > Most BFB learn us to react different to events, social or
                          > psychological proplems. Controlling our reaction to some
                          > event makes that a event does not control us anymore...
                          >
                          > F. smith

                          Service.
                        • frans
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 14 10:59 PM

                            Hi,

                            Again, some people suffer from a condition (i forgot the
                            name) where the blood-circulation is in-correct.
                            That is they suffer from cold hand or feets. The use of
                            temp. FB makes is possible to learn to raise the temp.
                            Probally there are more conditions like this.

                            BFB/NFB is used to learn to control or influence physiological systems like bloodcirculation, blood-
                            pressure, heart-beat,

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 14 11:37 PM
> [...]

                              > to relax, raise the temp. of arms and legs etc..
                              > > If you would try this you would notic its easy with arms and your
                              > feets. But if you try to raise the temp of any
                              > > onther part of the body it would be not that easy.
                              > >
                              > > For example, in mind-control class, i could feel heat in my
                              > > feets and lower legs, and in my hands. Notat the top of
                              > > my head, or in my neck....To become more sensitive to
                              > > other parts of the body temp.FB is ideal. But again, it
                              > > works slow.
                              > >
                              > > EEG can be used for depression sinds some wave patterns correlate
                              > to depression (according to rechearch).
                              > > GSR, Temp, ECG, EMG, are only physiological reactions
                              > > due to some problems like fear, stress etc...
                              > >
                              > > Most BFB learn us to react different to events, social or
                              > > psychological proplems. Controlling our reaction to some
                              > > event makes that a event does not control us anymore...

                            • frans
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 15 12:32 AM

                                Hi,
                                sorry, is pushed the send-button by accident.

                                okay:
                                Temp FB. people who are atracted by Temp.FB,
                                are people like us (experimenters), and people who
                                NEED to learn to control blood circulation, because
                                of some condition. Some people suffer from cold hand
                                and feets due to poor circulation. (i forgot the name).

                                If our group succeeds in making NFB/BFB available
                                for a wide public, then automaticly whe would attrack
                                different people. (our information then is important).

                                ohter people belong to groups like:
                                BFB/NFB experimenters (like us)
                                Silva mind-control, autogenic training, sports-man,
                                hypno-therapists, psychotherapists, yogi etc.........

                                Like i allready pointed out, i am able to generate heat
                                in my feets and hand. But not at the top of my head,
                                or lets say my schoulder. Why, whe are not that sensi-
                                tive at that point. In yoga people can focus on each
                                part of the body, making the body concious.
                                The use of Temp.FB then is a good tool to help in
                                becomming more aware of places like the top of my head.

                                GSR is fine for anxiety etc...However, i leanr us to
                                change our reaction to some image or event.
                                Sportman can learn to relax while thinking of a game.
                                Students can learn to relax for there examination.

                                Like Tem.FB GSR will not deal with (real) depression
                                However, all methods need relaxation, so relaxation
                                in-it-self would lower blood-pressure, bring down
                                hear-beat etc...

                                Relaxation is only one part, but to learn to control
                                bloodpressure, brainwaves, tension (emg) etc....
                                at will is the challenge. In yoga this would take years.

                                EMG is fantastic to learn to relax musles at will.
                                I have pain in my fore-head (tension), emg learns
                                to relax these muscles at will. There are specific
                                places where tension manifest (neck, back, head etc)
                                Relaxation would alter such a condition, but emg
                                would give you the power to control muscles.

                                In one of my book (from the 70's) i could read
                                about a man who learned not to speak internally.
                                When whe read whe talk inside our head (sub-vocalisa-
                                tion).

                                There are manny reason to use BFB. In yoga people
                                where able to raise the temp. of there hands in winter-
                                time.

                                One thing is important. All methods result in relaxation.
                                Therefore the boy would be (tempor) free of tension,
                                fear, etc...
                                If some event brings fear, then GSR could alter this,
                                but Temp, or EMG could also.
                                Fear for example  changes hart-beat, realxation brings
                                it down. You could use GSR, EMG, TEMP to change
                                your reaction to fear/event. The choise is yours.

                                EMG is interesting sinds it can be used for rehabilitation
                                of muscles (injury), but also to alter tension, or just to
                                learn to control the muscles, to make the body more
                                sensitive.

                                In my case:

                                main goal.....top focus (concentration).
                                Control the whole body as far as possible (mind over
                                matter idea).
                                Control over emotions.
                                NFB/BFB is fantastic...
                                GSR sensitive to emotions, if the GSR is of high
                                quality then its extremely usefull to change behaviour.
                                In psycholgy the term de-sensi-tation means that
                                a given event/image does not influence you (at least
                                not in the way is used to be).

                                Whe could talk about all the possibillity's but would be
                                to long.
                                Try this one:
                                When you lie in bed, focus on your feets. You generate
                                heat. Now your hand, you generate heat.
                                Now try your butt, ah..you see...you cannot, try you
                                chest....your ellbow....you see you cannot...
                                You notice that your feet stay warm, cannot change
                                from feet to ellbow....
                                With Temp.FB you could learn it, also with yoga but
                                would take some years or so...

                                There are a few groups:

                                1. people suffering from some illness/condition,
                                    (mental or physical) Proff. Therapists/rechearch.
                                2. Mind over matter freaks, yogi, mind-control etc..
                                3. Peak-performance, sports, buissiness, ......
                                4. general therapists, hypno, psycho, counselers etc..
                                5. experimenters (like us)....
                                6. Technolgy (controlling motors, etc..).

                                Try visualisation, imagine you muscle using a weigth.
                                you will notic heat, and even can measure the result.
                                Imagine jogging, you boddy will react in the same way
                                asi in real-time. (afther some time however the heart
                                beat etc..lowers, i don't know why).
                                In yoga they allready used such a system. imagine
                                weigth lifting, the arm/muscle will grow. (perhaps not
                                as in boddy-building but it will).
                                In chi-gong whe learned to "open" vertebrea so as to
                                eleminate stagnation and make the chi flow.

                                imagine a (blood) vene/arteria, can you contract it or
                                reverse the process ?? yes you can, NASA is doing this.( with VR/BFB)

                                Can you infuence deep musles ? or a vene/arteria in the
                                head ???? you can, ask professionals.

                                You understand that BFB can be dangerous.
                                Try to imagine Jennifer Anniston  getting small-poks for free...you can with no side-effects...but don't try to imagine a pulsating vene/arteria in your head for it migth work....don't try to exercise your heart if you don't
                                know why and what you are doing !!!!!!!!

                                Its a fact that imagination is powerfull, even without
                                BFB/NFB you could change you bio-chemistry etc..
                                In fact, i believe that you could learn to change brain
                                waves without NFB. Yoga and other forms have pro-
                                ven this for hundreds of years.

                                You could use BFB to help you with smoking-habbit.
                                You could also imagine your self free from smoking,
                                healthy, strong etc..with the same results....

                                I guess NFB/BFB works faster sind whe are given
                                direct FEED-BACK at what whe are doing.

                                Best Regards.
                                Frans.

                              • peterson@discover-net.net
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 15 5:31 PM
                                  --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., yaniv_vi@y... wrote:
                                  > hi
                                  > first ,when i do temp bfb i usualy can get to around 96.6F -97.1F
                                  > there is a reason to try for more ?

                                  I don't think there is much point in getting above temperatures like
                                  this.

                                  > i feel somewhat relaxed , but it's not such a unique thing-
                                  > i can meditate or just calm myself down to get to this , i think .
                                  > so maybe for this bfb i don't need .

                                  Of course you can reach this state easily. You're an experienced
                                  meditator, and long ago learned everything temperature training might
                                  have to teach you. Think of temp. training as "training wheels" for
                                  beginners who have no experience of self-regulation. These folk, and
                                  they are the majority of humanity, have virtually no self-regulatory
                                  skill, and the temp training is an excellent way to get them started
                                  on the path.

                                  > but again - for most people - how usefull is temp bfb, how much it
                                  > attracts people to bfb ? what the change most people experience
                                  after
                                  > this ? is like that's the first time the feel the relaxtion
                                  response
                                  > or know how to go there ?
                                  > what prevent temp bfb becoming very popular ?
                                  >
                                  > many question , but i hope theyle be useful

                                  The people I have trained on temperature had little or no prior
                                  experience with the Relaxation Response. Thermal training helped
                                  them get there faster than they otherwise would have. They enjoy the
                                  experience and begin using the relaxation skill in their daily lives,
                                  and soon they have outgrown their need for the thermometer because
                                  they have learned how to get there by themselves.