question about safety testing

  • yaniv_vi@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2000
      --- In buildcheapeeg@egroups.com, "Joerg Hansmann" <jhansmann@g...>
      wrote:
      hi jeorg
      if i understand correctly you have to test every unit that comes out
      of the factory with tests according to the iec601 ?

      one thing about irda versus cable -
      we can use a very simple not irda - infrared comm , that we'll
      specially design with full duplex , 115000 baud , and because we have
      to build reciever card - we can build it to connect to printer port
      throught long 5meter cable . this could be very simple little card ,
      that can be put near the device , and he'll get he's power from
      the printer port .
      i think this interface design could be very simple one .
      it's seems o.k. with you ?

      thanks yaniv v

      > Hi,

      optocouplers) would be tested.

      > "Insulation breakdown
      > IEC601-1 Clause 20
      >
      > This test is actually a series of tests designed to test the
      strength of insulation. Basically you apply a high voltage, as much as
      > 5500 volts, to an insulation barrier to determine if it
      will "withstand" the voltage and not short across.