a little more rain on the parade

  • jiva@humboldt1.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
      Waldemar and I have been exploring the liability issue some. If
      you'd like a hint of the black hole that we're drifting towards
      see this link:

      http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/products_liability.html

      and note that this is just US law. We're talking about international
      membership/users and the laws of dozens of countries.

      My unqualified guess is that this is why the HAL project
      dried up and why Brainmaster sells only to professionals.
      While the hardware can be safe there are issues of improper
      USE of the equipment. It appears moving beyond an "experimental
      kit" with BOLD FACE DISCLAIMER will require some very serious
      resources. If those resources are provided by another organization
      then they are very likely going to want to be well rewarded for
      their part of the deal -- be it manufacturing, liability or ??
      (unless there really are guardian angels for this sort of thing)

      I don't know if I've gone overboard with this or not. Feedback
      requested.

      signed - party pooper
    • Rob Kall
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
        I've never heard of a single case of litigation against a biofeedback
        manufacturer or vendor, not one.

        Rob Kall
        Futurehealth, Inc.
        211 N. Sycamore St., Newtown, PA 18940 215-504-1700, fax 215-860-5374
        www.futurehealth.org
        10th annual Winter Brain Meeting February 7-11, Miami Florida
        "We're much more like flickering flames than hunks of meat."
        Candace Pert

        BioFbP Listserve. The Listserve For BIofeedback Practitioners.
        Subscribe: biofbp-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      • jiva@humboldt1.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
          > I've never heard of a single case of litigation against a
          > biofeedback manufacturer or vendor, not one.

          ok, so I'm paranoid ... maybe eeg feedback can help.
        • peterson@discover-net.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
            --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., Rob Kall <smile@c...> wrote:
            > I've never heard of a single case of litigation against a
            biofeedback
            > manufacturer or vendor, not one.
            >
            > Rob Kall
            > Futurehealth, Inc.
            > 211 N. Sycamore St., Newtown, PA 18940 215-504-1700, fax 215-860-
            5374

            Rob is right. I can't think of any such lawsuits either. Also,
            precisely who is going to be sued here? I'm no lawyer, but I think
            all we would have to do is form a non-profit corporation and total
            liability would be limited to the (virtually nonexistent) assets of
            the corporation.

            On the topic of making money, BTW, I could see the group charging a
            few bucks beyond the cost of the materials to reimburse the designers
            for some of their time. Also this $$ could be used for incorporation
            costs or whatever. Even the employees of non-profit corps can get
            paid a little. Just a thought.