Yaniv is making me work! (#2)

  • peterson@discover-net.net
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2001
      I was asked to write a description, from the clinician's point of
      view, of what I would want the software to do. Here goes:

      Some Thoughts on the Characteristics of an Ideal Neurofeedback
      Software Package

      Jim Peterson, Ph.D.

      What should the EEG biofeedback software do? Here are some answers
      from a clinician who knows nothing about the relative difficulty
      involved in implementing his suggestions:

      If you could make it put out displays like the original Mind Mirror,
      that might be enough for a beginning, for a first release. This would
      permit people to explore the old Cade training paradigms for personal
      development, as described by Anna Wise in her book The High-
      Performance Mind. If the system never did any more than this, I
      would want one to play with, and I bet a lot of other people would
      too. But this is supposed to be a description of what I would really
      like it to do rather than what I would settle for--so, onward.

      Some sort of interesting game displays would be nice for attention
      deficit disorder training. EEG Spectrum uses a sort of Pac-Man
      display that kids can make work by producing the desired brainwave
      patterns (e.g. enhance SMR and suppress theta). This is a realm for
      some creative thinking and maybe some pilot testing on real kids.

      In addition to the various visual possibilities, if the software is
      to be maximally flexible for clinical and personal growth purposes,
      it should be capable of putting out a number of selectable sounds for
      auditory feedback, if only because many people find it useful to
      train with their eyes closed, particularly when trying to generate
      slower-frequency waves.

      The software might permit the user to define EEG frequency bands
      other than the classic Delta, Theta, Alpha and Beta. For example, if
      you want to just train 14 Hz and suppress 2-6 Hz, or if you want to
      define SMR at 12-14, low Beta at 15-18, middle Beta at 19-25, etc.,
      you should be able to do that. This would make the system extremely
      flexible. It would also be neat if you could specify various Boolean
      statements as conditions for feedback. E.g. tone1 if (SMR>x AND
      Theta <y) or maybe symmetry training with a condition like tone1 if
      ABS(rightalpha-leftalpha)<x where tone1 is the specified feedback
      tone.

      Ideally, the software should be set up with a number of "canned"
      protocols to get people started. One of these might just be for
      training alpha synchrony, another for training attention, etc.

      Whether using a canned session or an individually designed one, it
      should be easy to change the numeric values of the thresholds so you
      can easily adjust the difficulty levels during the session.

      One would also want to be able to name and save training protocols
      for future use.

      The feedback for any condition might be given whenever the specified
      condition is met or exceeded as averaged across a one-second epoch.
      Two seconds might be workable. The system should be accurate enough
      so that no more than 5% or so of erroneous feedback is given.

      Also, the software should provide the capability of tracking
      amplitudes of the selected bands across the session. This might be
      something like a graph plot of the mean values of successive two-
      second epochs for each of the bands of interest. It might also be
      nice to summarize an entire session as a set of bar graphs, maybe one
      for each quarter of the session, with each bar representing the mean
      amplitude of a given band during that quarter of the session. I
      suppose the data could be ported to Excel or something to simplify
      the programming demands.

      Would it be difficult to set the machine up to train coherence? This
      is when your right and left hemispheres not only match in the
      dominant frequency, but are also in phase.

      Now for a truly crazy request. Can it be made to produce coherence
      in two brains at the same time? With electrodes at the
      corrresponding sites on the two heads, say at Cz or at Pz, where
      alpha is often strongest.
      Really strange things, like telepathy, are said to happen when you do
      that.
    • jiva@humboldt1.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2001
        > If you could make it put out displays like the original Mind Mirror,
        > that might be enough for a beginning, for a first release. This
        would

        I think a more complete description would be useful but not
        necessarily here and now.

        I suppose this will evolve over time but the more "open source"
        the project, the more folks that can get involved and the
        increased opportunities for evolution in unexpected and
        possibly exciting/fruitful directions.