Info. about using soundcard.

  • spicyme@interserv.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001
      Hi Gang,
      I just received this e-mail from Dr. Steven Harris at Cirrus Logic
      to my question about using soundcard for EEG.

      quote:

      Hi Mohan

      Two suggestions:

      Use a small Analog to Digital converter module which you can
      plug into the printer port on a PC, which comes with some analysis
      software.
      I think PICO technology make one, see Electronics World magazine for
      advertisements.

      OR

      Increase the value of the DC blocking capacitors in the input
      circuitry in the
      sound card. Usually the codec chip and drivers pass dc-20kHz, it is
      the external
      dc blocking capacitors that determine the 20Hz Hi Pass corner
      frequency.
      Making these capacitors larger will lower the corner frequency.
      You still need to block DC, so the capacitors are necessary.

      You will a high gain preamplifier to amplify the brain signals.
      Also, think a lot about safety. Professional EEG units are
      very carefully designed so there is no possibility of electrocution.
      PC's are not designed to the degree of safety required by medical
      equipment.

      Good luck

      Steve
      Dr. Steven Harris, Director || Cirrus Logic Inc.
      Email: snh@... || Anglers Court
      Tel Direct: +44 (0)7710 657828 || Spittal Street
      Fax: +44 (0)870 0520252 || Marlow SL7 1DB
      http://www.crystal.com || England
    • lucas darten
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001

        "Also, think a lot about safety. Professional EEG units are
        very carefully designed so there is no possibility of
        electrocution."

        Yeah, we might want to avoid that possibility <g>
        Seriously, anybody have any thoughts on how possible this is?
      • jiva@humboldt1.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001
          --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., "lucas darten" <ljdarten@h...> wrote:

          > "Also, think a lot about safety. Professional EEG units are
          > very carefully designed so there is no possibility of
          > electrocution."
          >
          > Yeah, we might want to avoid that possibility <g>
          > Seriously, anybody have any thoughts on how possible this is?

          That's definately a part of the hardware design process.