URGENT (PLZ REPLY)

  • snrajani
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2004
      Hello,

      My name is Shireen and I m student of Computer Engineering (Final
      Year).

      My Project is based on the Technology "Brain Computer Interfaces"
      and it's a complete research oriented project.

      The theme of my project is by putting 2 Electrodes on the skull and
      connecting them to Amplifiers and Transmitters a person can use
      minute Voltages (in the form of EEG Signals) in their brain to
      control electric appliances.

      For this purpose I want help on designing biopotential /
      instrumental Amplifiers which could Amplify bio-electric signals.

      Along with that I want information about the working of a
      Filtration unit inside an EEG Machine for the filtration of Noise
      from the original signals on the basis of which I could design my
      own filtration unit.

      Another question which I want to ask is how to study the
      characteristics and behaviour of pure EEG Signals (Alpha Waves)
      without using EEG Machines.

      According to my little knowledge this could be made possible by
      using an Oscilloscope but there must be some pre-amplifying circuit
      before it (is it true or not).And is there a way by which you can
      avoid to place a ground electrode on the scalp.

      Please clear my concepts on this matter as we r only 2 students
      working on this project with no support provided from our teachers
      and technicians.

      I have only few days in my hand for this project to complete
      therefore I request you people to please please help me regarding
      electrode placement for Alpha waves or Analog signal processing unit
      (amplifiers, filters) anything relating this project.

      Please I request you once again please reply me, give me suggestions
      so that I could complete my dream project .

      Thanks a lott

      Waiting for a positive reponse…

      Shireen
    • Ali aaaa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29, 2004
        Dear Shireen:
        You can use an AD620 which is an instrumental
        amplifier to collect the data of the electrical
        activity of brain and then you have to convert analog
        data to digital that can be used by computer. To do
        this you can use a variety of Analog Digital
        Converters (ADC) like AD574 (a 12 bit high speed ADC)
        as well as using ready ADC cards(if available).You
        should also consider safety issues and make an
        isolator between the analog circuit and the computer.
        After collecting data you can use several filtering
        algorithms to cut out high frequency signals which may
        interfere with the main signal.
        You can find some useful schematics in the links below
        that are data sheets of AD620 and AD574.

        www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/267824459ad574a.pdf
        www.analog.com/productSelection/pdf/AD620_e.pdf

        Give more details of you and your location and so I
        will be more helpful.
        Best Wishes.
        Ali

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail