Re: [buildcheapeeg] Re: Goodbye Yahoo?

  • Jim Peters
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2002
      sleeper75se wrote:
      > Ok... should we use the forums or create a new mailinglist there? A
      > list has the advantage of not requiring the subscriber to go to
      > sourceforge to check for new messages ...

      Definitely a mailing list.

      Jim

      --
      Jim Peters (_)/=\~/_(_) jim@...
      (_) /=\ ~/_ (_)
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 6, 2002
        --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., Jim Peters <jim@u...> wrote:
        > sleeper75se wrote:
        > > Ok... should we use the forums or create a new mailinglist there?
        > > list has the advantage of not requiring the subscriber to go to
        > > sourceforge to check for new messages ...
        >
        > Definitely a mailing list.

        Sourceforge says you can add, but not remove a mailinglist, so we'd
        better pick a good descriptive name. I am no good at this... so help
        me out please. :) the name must start with "openeeg-"

        openeeg-l?
        openeeg-dev?

        Other suggestions?

        Andreas
      • Jim Peters
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 7, 2002
          sleeper75se wrote:
          > Sourceforge says you can add, but not remove a mailinglist, so we'd
          > better pick a good descriptive name. I am no good at this... so help
          > me out please. :) the name must start with "openeeg-"
          >
          > openeeg-l?
          > openeeg-dev?

          "openeeg-dev" sounds possible, and more in line with convention than
          "openeeg-l". This might leave the possibility for a "openeeg-users"
          at some later point, or "openeeg-hw" if software and hardware
          discussion have to be split.

          Alternatively, maybe we could start with "openeeg-hw", and split off
          software discussion into "openeeg-sw" or "openeeg-dev" at some later
          point.

          Thoughts ?

          Jim

          --
          Jim Peters (_)/=\~/_(_) jim@...
          (_) /=\ ~/_ (_)
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 7, 2002
            Jim Peters wrote:
            > Alternatively, maybe we could start with "openeeg-hw", and split off
            > software discussion into "openeeg-sw" or "openeeg-dev" at some later
            > point.

            I notice that someone has already setup 'openeeg-list' on sf.net. Is
            this our new list ?

            http://sf.net/projects/openeeg
            http://sf.net/mail/?group_id=35817

            Jim

            --
            Jim Peters (_)/=\~/_(_) jim@...
            (_) /=\ ~/_ (_)
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 8, 2002
              Hi !

              > I notice that someone has already setup 'openeeg-list' on sf.net. Is
              > this our new list ?
              >
              > http://sf.net/projects/openeeg
              > http://sf.net/mail/?group_id=35817

              I think I did some time ago. We can use this one or create a new one.
              So should we make several lists, one for hardware, one for software, one for
              users ?

              Moritz
              --
              Baltic-Microsolutions uC/DSP/PSOC http://www.baltic-microsolutions.de
              Hardware&Softwaredesign --- MSP430 Bootloader Software
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 8, 2002
                > So should we make several lists, one for hardware, one for software, one
                for
                > users ?
                >
                > Moritz

                I wouldn't do that. First of all, most people would sign up to all lists
                anyway, in order not to miss anything. Secondly, it would cuse quite some
                confusion once again. ("On which list shall I post my question, which is
                related to how the hardware has to be set up so I can use this piece of
                software code that I wrote...")
                Since it seems there's not more than maybe 20-30 people that will post,
                I'd go for one list. It's the project openEEG. Not an attempt to fly to the
                moon. We don't really need to split the project into sub-projects.
                After all, all the splitting was the stuff that caused the confusion
                for new users in the first place. (several webpages, several mailing lists,
                etc.) I think I signed up for at least 4 or 5 accounts of some type
                and I don't really know what 3 of them are about...
                Let's start to keep it simple!

                regards,
                Oli
              • Jim Peters
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 8, 2002
                  Oli Scheit wrote:
                  > I wouldn't do that.
                  > Let's start to keep it simple!

                  I agree -- the list is there (openeeg-list), so let's use it. We can
                  split into different lists later if there is really a need.

                  We just need someone in a position of authority to say, "All postings
                  from now on should be on <openeeg-list@...>", and
                  then we're away.

                  Do we have any authority figures on the list ? ;-)

                  Jim

                  P.S. By the way, I am also interested in the ModularEEG unit that is
                  being tested, but I didn't speak up because my future is a little
                  uncertain right at this moment. I was considering going off to live
                  in another country for a while. Even if that doesn't happen I'm
                  expecting / hoping for some big changes, so I'm not 100% certain I'll
                  be around. But I might be ...

                  --
                  Jim Peters (_)/=\~/_(_) jim@...
                  (_) /=\ ~/_ (_)
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 10, 2002
                    --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., Jim Peters <jim@u...> wrote:

                    > We just need someone in a position of authority to say, "All
                    > postings from now on should be on <openeeg-list@l...>", and
                    > then we're away.

                    Heh, I'm no authority figure, but I happen to be the maintainer of
                    the new list so ...

                    ... go here:

                    fill in your mail address and pick a password. Check your mailbox for
                    a confirmation mail, and reply to it. That's it!

                    You can access the archive from that page too, so bookmark it.

                    Now, I expect everyone to move over to the new list :o) You don't
                    have to get an account at Sourceforge for this. Right now we are 7
                    people on the list, including the geocrawler archiver bot.

                    Oh, another thing. Can anyone with some scripting skills try to
                    download all messages (and attachments) from this list so that we may
                    create an archive of it somewhere? I have no clue on how to create
                    this archive, just a feeling that we should have one in case Yahoo
                    goes bankrupt or something.

                    Regards,

                    Andreas
                  • wayland76
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 11, 2002
                      --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., "sleeper75se" <sleeper75se@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., Jim Peters <jim@u...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > We just need someone in a position of authority to say, "All
                      > > postings from now on should be on <openeeg-list@l...>", and
                      > > then we're away.
                      >
                      > Heh, I'm no authority figure, but I happen to be the maintainer of
                      > the new list so ...
                      >
                      > ... go here:
                      >
                      > fill in your mail address and pick a password. Check your mailbox
                      for
                      > a confirmation mail, and reply to it. That's it!
                      >
                      > You can access the archive from that page too, so bookmark it.
                      >
                      > Now, I expect everyone to move over to the new list :o) You don't
                      > have to get an account at Sourceforge for this. Right now we are 7
                      > people on the list, including the geocrawler archiver bot.
                      >
                      > Oh, another thing. Can anyone with some scripting skills try to
                      > download all messages (and attachments) from this list so that we
                      may
                      > create an archive of it somewhere? I have no clue on how to create
                      > this archive, just a feeling that we should have one in case Yahoo
                      > goes bankrupt or something.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Andreas

                      Two final comments:
                      1. I still think multiple lists are valuable. openeeg-hw, openeeg-sw,
                      openeeg-releases (exists), and openeeg-users. *But*, I think that
                      openeeg-list should be subscribed to all of them. Because once I have
                      the hardware myself, I'm mostly going to be interested in the software
                      (so I'd subscribe to the sw list). But until then, I want everything,
                      so I am subscribed to the openeeg-list.
                      2. I think we should post a final comment on this forum saying where
                      we've moved to, and hopefully someone will still keep an eye on it to
                      redirect newcomers.
                      3. Hopefully between my FAQ and Michal's notes, I'll be able to
                      develop an even better FAQ, and maybe be able to post it on
                      sourceforge. When I get time :).