Re: FAQ

  • sleeper75se
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2002
      --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., Mr Tim Nelson <wayland76@y...> wrote:

      Hi Tim,

      thanks for volunteering!

      > Hi all. I'm not a member of this group, but

      Sure you are. You are a list subscriber are you not? :-)

      > I'd like to contribute in a small way as time allows.
      > I followed up Andreas' suggestion of a FAQ. It's
      > attached. I gleaned it from the messages posted in
      > the month of May 2002, and the old FAQ. It's pretty
      > basic, but it should give us a start.
      >
      > Andreas, please have a look at the one about
      > the serial port. I suspect that if I asked the
      > attached question, others will too.

      Ok, a couple of quick comments follows.
      I could write more, but I think it is better to do a little at a time.

      Re: the different projects:

      The ModularEEG is (in my mind) the "main" OpenEEG project, because
      Joerg and Moritz started this way before me, so it should be
      mentioned first or something. Not sure if they will finish first
      though (race ya... ;-)

      TinyEEG is surface mount, meaning you will need some electronics
      experience to assemble it - it is not for everyone. I'm not looking
      at the price tag either, though it will certainly be cheaper than any
      commercial device.

      CheapEEG has not left the design stage yet and with every change I
      make, I get closer to the modularEEG design. If I get too close, I
      will scrap it because there is no point in doing the same thing twice.

      Re: serial ports etc:

      ---------------------------

      The a-d letters in Q2 are sub-questions asked in message 2774 dated
      May 10th.
      I have edited them slightly below:

      Is a serial port going to have enough bandwidth?

      a. For biofeedback?, i.e. AlphaTrainer.
      b. For basic EEG biofeedback?
      c. For smooth realtime professional-grade recordings?
      d. For electromyography 2-4kHz would do it.

      Amendment to answer d (without the quotes):

      "If you want to record EMG, you must modify the anti-aliasing filter
      to let the higher frequencies through and possibly lower the gain.
      You do this by replacing a few parts in the amplifier.

      --------------------

      Q5 TinyEEG

      The answers in this question are mostly about the low-cost design not
      the TinyEEG.
      The working name is CheapEEG, though I don't think it should be
      called that when (if) it is finished...

      Answer 5a-i (DC/DC noise) relates to the TinyEEG, but it is not
      relevant anymore - I will use two 9V batteries instead.

      Answer 5a-ii to vi applies to the CheapEEG.

      So maybe you should remove 5a-i change the heading for Q5 to CheapEEG?

      --------------------

      Q6a: A 1/2 euro-board is 100x80 mm (about 3.9 x 3.1")

      (nitpicking I know)

      --------------------

      Regards,

      Andreas
    • Mr Tim Nelson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2002
        > > Hi all. I'm not a member of this group, but
        >
        > Sure you are. You are a list subscriber are you not?
        :-)

        I am now, but when I wrote the original
        message, the server knocked it back, so I had to
        become a subscriber :).

        > > Andreas, please have a look at the one about
        > > the serial port. I suspect that if I asked the
        > > attached question, others will too.
        > Ok, a couple of quick comments follows.
        > I could write more, but I think it is better to do a
        little at a time.

        :). The sooner I get them all, the sooner FAQ
        2.1 will be done. And Monday is a holiday over here,
        so if you get me more by then, hopefully I'll get
        soemthing done. But if it's better for *you* then do
        it however :).

        > Re: the different projects:
        > The ModularEEG is (in my mind) the "main" OpenEEG
        project, because
        > Joerg and Moritz started this way before me, so it
        should be
        > mentioned first or something. Not sure if they will
        finish first
        > though (race ya... ;-)

        I've put down that "This is considered by many
        to be the "main"
        project".

        I've incorporated the others into the FAQ too.

        > Q6a: A 1/2 euro-board is 100x80 mm (about 3.9 x
        3.1")
        > (nitpicking I know)

        Better to have a nit-picker than a nit plague
        :).

        http://www.sold.com.au - The Sold.com.au Big Brand Sale
        - New PCs, notebooks, digital cameras, phones and more ... Sale ends June 12