Re: A consideration?

  • scottelofson
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi, Skip Inskeep:

      I am a fan of python (www.python.org) also, but most of people here
      seem to be C or C++ programmmers. I would like to see development
      python, but my programming experience is limited. I have done much
      more hardware development.

      I have not used it but, Jython is an implementation of the high-level,
      dynamic, object-oriented language Python written in 100% Pure Java,
      and seamlessly integrated with the Java platform. It thus allows you
      to run Python on any Java platform. (www.jython.org)

      ------------
      bye Scott

      --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., "skipinskeep" <skipinskeep@y...> wrote:
      > Gentlemen,
      > I have been monitoring your thread off and on since I am interested
      > in neurofeedback. I am very impressed with what you are working
      > on. I was wondering if you have considered doing some of the
      > development with python. This would allow you to do high level
      > prototyping in python and then compile modules that need speed in C
      > or C++, such as the FFT calculations. The advantage is portability
      > and many existing modules, including OOP. Python now has wxPython
      > using wxWindows and sql access to databases like postgress. This
      > provides portability across linux, windows, and mac. I thought I
      > would mention wxWindows since, so far I have been very impressed
      > with what I have read and am just starting to program with it. A
      > few weeks ago I felt that python was limited with needing to use
      > Tkinter as a graphics interface. wxWindows gives you file access,
      > various graphics viewers, and it's open source. Python also has the
      > flexibility of using stdin and stdout so that you can use/create
      > command line programs to pipe/filter data through.
      >
      > Skip Inskeep
      > skipinskeep@y...
    • John Morrison
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
        With way we (Currently Doug/John) are working. It should be easy to replace
        classes of any type with the language of your choice.
        AS long as it's compatible with C++.

        C++ is the favourite of most of the programmers so that is the current
        direction development is going.

        My personal fav is Java but there are issues and it's easier to just use C++
        for the moment.

        Maybe when the design is out and working someone can work on interfaces to
        other languages.

        John

      • Doug Sutherland
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
          John Morrison wrote:

          > It should be easy to replace classes of any type with the
          > language of your choice. AS long as it's compatible with C++.

          Henry Ford, when selling the Model T, said you can have it
          "any color you want, as long as it's black." <g>

          http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd_compat.pdf
          http://davinci01.man.ac.uk/ibmcxx/language/concepts/cncompat.htm
          http://www.research.att.com/~bs/compilers.html

          "Compatible with C++" is a very loaded statement.

          "There is no C++ compiler or library today that implements the
          Standard perfectly, but some are getting close. Here, finally,
          is a first attempt to quantify just how close."

          http://www.cuj.com/roundup/a.htm

          -- Doug
        • John Morrison
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
            Hay if you read what I wrote you'll note I said "SOMEONE" can do
            it........NOT ME :-) LOL
            They can work out all the problems. :-)

            So Doug (or Dave, OR ANYONE!!) any reply to my last message in the "Question
            for Doug" thread??
            Got to keep the momentum going. :-)

            John

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
              On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 15:46:53 +1000, John Morrison wrote:

              >So Doug (or Dave, OR ANYONE!!) any reply to my last message in the "Question
              >for Doug" thread??
              >Got to keep the momentum going. :-)

              Momentum seems just fine, my attention is just a bit divided right now. The OO
              definition discussion between you and Doug is *great*. Right now, though, it's
              time to call it an evening (well, or 'morning'), so more later.

              Dave.
            • John Morrison
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
                Where are you from Dave? I'm just curious.........
                I'm Australian, Queensland

              • Doug Sutherland
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
                  John,

                  > I'm Australian, Queensland

                  These may look familiar, I took these photos myself.
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~wearable/eden/

                  I call Northern Queensland the "New Eden".
                  Been there three times, will be back.
                  Jungle vs Garden ...

                  G'Day
                  Doug
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
                    On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 20:42:13 +1000, John Morrison wrote:

                    >Where are you from Dave? I'm just curious.........
                    >I'm Australian, Queensland

                    Upstate New York, US. So it was prime time for you when I wrote that message.
                    For me it was 3am. :-]

                    I actually got on for just a moment because I remembered something I wanted to
                    mention concerning BWView and the EEG data files I uploaded to my site earlier.
                    You will probably have to turn the brightness down quite a bit before seeing
                    detail, as the initial level at b1 is still pretty saturated. Type "b" then
                    "1" and then hit the minus key several times until detail emerges.

                    Jim-P: quick bug report. If you bring up BWView and then hit the minus key
                    first without first choosing a mode, a segmentation fault results.

                    Dave.
                  • John Morrison
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
                      Yes the far north is great (I'm in Brisbane).
                      Fantastic pics too........
                      I'd love to spend a bit of time up there in the future but have to make some
                      money first!

                      When you do come down-under again say HI. :-)

                      John

                      P.S
                      You must have been here before that G'Day you said without an accent. LOL