Re: [buildcheapeeg] Re: Meditation - UP mode

  • Jim Meissner
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2001
      Dear Joerg:

      I would be very interested to see - hear what you have written.

      I am not a programmer but I work at it.  So far as I am aware, it is not possible to get accurate microsecond timing when addressing the sound card to generate pulses.  Maybe you have the answer? ( BTW a 10 microsecond difference is significant! )

      With my Brain State Synchronizer, I use Small "C" and the pulse routines are written in machine code to get the speed.

      If you have a skeleton of the code that works I would be willing to try to fine tune it.

      Let's see if you got something that works before you worry about option 1) or 2) or others.

      Juergen P. (Jim) Meissner
      Check out my Website at www.MeissnerResearch.com
      Read about the benefits of the Brain State Synchronizer sounds for improving your life and health.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
        Hi Jim,

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
          Dear Joerg:

          >  There is at least some evidence, that it works:

          >  Some days ago I visited a friend who seemingly
          needed some coffee:
          >  Accidentally at this time an annoying fly was buzzing around him.
          >  He tried about twenty times to catch it and gave up.
          >  After listening to the sound for some minutes, he was able to
          >  get the fly in only two attempts.

          A non-believer would tell you that the fly got tired!
          Sounds cannot change human performance or slow down the tennis ball!
          ( I am joking! )

          >  At 96kHz sample rate you get 10.4us resolution.

          Does that mean that at 44100 it would be 20.8 us?  That might be a bit jerky but maybe OK, I would have to hear it.
          >  I have experimented with delays up to 1000us and could definitely
          >  not tell the difference between 1000us and 500us. (So maybe I have
          >  problems with my ears ;-) )

          I would not have believed that a biological system could respond to even millisecond delays.  I was shocked when I discovered this.  Try it again with two identical 3 msec. pulses.  Shift the phase by 100 us and you will be surprised how sensitive the ear/brain system is to establishing the apparent direction.  This sense has kept man alive for thousands of years.  A large part of the brain is devoted to keeping track of his sonic environment.

          >  If you have a skeleton of the code that works I would be willing
          >  to try to fine tune it.
          >  The source is in the separate email too.
          >  Alternatively you could tell me what could be improved and
          >  I implement it.

          I was able to get your program to run.  Nice job.  Even though the frequencies went from 10 to 20 hz, I found it very annoying to listen to.  Much of the programming of the sound sequence is art. I spent months fine tuning the frequencies.  My joke is that Jimmy Hendrix and Andre Segovia both played the guitar, but what a difference.

          I looked at your code and will need a few hours to study it.  If I am able to remember how to program in C, I would prefer to modify the code on my computer and do the fine tuning here.  Would you be willing to set me up with the programs needed to compile the C code and run it here?  I have a Compaq Presario 1250, with Win98.

          Years ago I hired a programmer to write the core program and then I was able to push variables around until it sounded "right".  There are about 12 variables that control all the programs in my Brain State Synchronizer.  These are called up from the EPROM and loaded into the program and run.  On the PC these could be in a BAT file that the program looks at and executes.  During development it would be nice to have an on screen edit of the variables, and then to save that to a file for future use.

          What do you think?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
            Dear Jim,

            > > At 96kHz sample rate you get 10.4us resolution.
            >
            > Does that mean that at 44100 it would be 20.8 us?

            Yes.

            > That might be a bit jerky
            > but maybe OK, I would have to hear it.

            Hopefully I will have a SDL console application (with command line interpreter)
            running the next days. Then it should be possible to play around with all
            parameters without recompiling.

            > > I have experimented with delays up to 1000us and could definitely
            > > not tell the difference between 1000us and 500us. (So maybe I have
            > > problems with my ears ;-) )
            >
            > I would not have believed that a biological system could respond to even
            > millisecond delays. I was shocked when I discovered this. Try it again with
            > two identical 3 msec. pulses. Shift
            > the phase by 100 us and you will be surprised how sensitive the ear/brain
            > system is to establishing the apparent direction.

            Seemingly not my...
            Without attenuating the delayed channel by at least 6dB,
            delay alone only gives me a very vague direction impression.

            > This sense has kept man alive for thousands of years. A large part of the
            > brain is devoted to keeping track of his sonic environment.

            Perhaps thousands of years ago I would have had no chance to survive ;-)

            > > If you have a skeleton of the code that works I would be willing
            > > to try to fine tune it.
            > > The source is in the separate email too.
            > > Alternatively you could tell me what could be improved and
            > > I implement it.
            >
            > I was able to get your program to run. Nice job.
            > Even though the frequencies went from 10 to 20 hz,

            Should it have been another range for UP-Mode PROG 01 ?

            > I found it
            > very annoying to listen to.

            I am confused: Is this good or bad ?

            > Much of the programming of the sound sequence is art.
            > I spent months fine tuning the
            > frequencies. My joke is that Jimmy Hendrix and Andre Segovia
            > both played the guitar, but what a difference.

            Thanks, I needed that ;-)
            Now I only have to guess, who I am...

            > I looked at your code and will need a few hours to study it.
            > If I am able to remember how to program in C, I would
            > prefer to modify the code on my computer and do the fine
            > tuning here.

            Feel free to do that. However the code is under
            construction and changes rapidly.

            > Would you be willing to set me up with the
            > programs needed to compile the C code and run it here?

            I have used the MSVC6.0 compiler and can give you the
            project files (*.dsw, *.dsp).
            Everything else (SDL 1.2.3) can be downloaded at http://www.libsdl.org

            If you do not have MSVC and want a freeware compiler instead, it should be
            possible to use the GNU mingw32 compiler. However I do not have any
            experience with mingw32.

            > I have a Compaq Presario 1250,

            CPU ? Mhz ? RAM ?
            Soundcard ?

            > with Win98.

            Should be OK.

            > Years ago I hired a programmer to write the core program and then
            > I was able to push variables around until it
            > sounded "right". There are about 12 variables that control all
            > the programs in my Brain State Synchronizer. These
            > are called up from the EPROM and loaded into the program and
            > run.

            The version currently under construction has 17 parameters:

            /*
            SweepDuration_sec;
            PulseLength_sec;

            // frequency sweep:
            // ----------------
            StartFreq_Hz;
            StartFreqRnd_Hz; // +- random frequency modulation per pulse
            EndFreq_Hz;
            EndFreqRnd_Hz; // +- random frequency modulation per pulse

            // stereo position sweep:
            // ----------------------
            StartPosition; // -1.0 max left, 0 middle, +1.0 max right
            StartPositionRnd; // +- random per pulse
            EndPosition; // -1.0 max left, 0 middle, +1.0 max right
            EndPositionRnd; // +- random per pulse
            MaxAttenuation_dB;
            MaxDelay_sec;

            // volume sweep:
            // -------------
            StartVolume_dB;
            StartVolumeRnd_dB; // +- random amplitude modulation per pulse
            EndVolume_dB;
            EndVolumeRnd_dB; // +- random amplitude modulation per pulse

            // misc:
            // -----
            next_to_do; // 0: repeat forever, -1: stop, n>0: load parameter set n
            */

            So I guess, that I change things, that were fixed in your SW ?

            > On the PC these could be in a BAT file that
            > the program looks at and executes. During development it would
            > be nice to have an on screen edit of the variables,
            > and then to save that to a file for future use.

            I am just working on that (using SDL_console package)

            > What do you think?

            Yes. Why not. It could be done that way.

            Regards,

            Joerg
          • Jim Meissner
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
              Dear Joerg:

              > I was able to get your program to run. Nice job.

              Even though the frequencies went from 10 to 20 hz,

              Should it have been another range for UP-Mode PROG 01 ?

              > I found it
              > very
              annoying to listen to.

              I am confused: Is this good or bad ?

              > Much of the programming of the sound sequence is
              art.
              > I spent months fine tuning the
              > frequencies. My joke is
              that Jimmy Hendrix and Andre Segovia
              > both played the guitar, but what a
              difference.

              Thanks, I needed that ;-)
              Now I only have to guess, who I am...

              The frequency range was just fine.  I did not look at the sound with the oscilloscope yet, but the phase was all over the place.  I do not know if you did that on purpose or not.  I did not like to listen to it.  It was Jimmy Hendrix, and for me that is not good.  ( Some people love Jimmy Hendrix! )

              Could you write a version with no delays and rand() functions to see if the pulses were working.  Just equal pulses that sound centered.

              I am studying your code.  I have never used structures before.  So I am Kindergarten programmer.  I may or may not be able to keep up with you!
> [...]

              > frequencies. My joke is that Jimmy Hendrix and Andre Segovia
              > both played the guitar, but what a difference.

              Thanks, I needed that ;-)
              Now I only have to guess, who I am...

              > I looked at your code and will need a few hours to study it.
              > If I am able to remember how to program in C, I would
              > prefer to modify the code on my computer and do the fine
              > tuning here.

              Feel free to do that. However the code is under
              construction and changes rapidly.

              > Would you be willing to set me up with the
              > programs needed to compile the C code and run it here?

              I have used the MSVC6.0 compiler and can give you the
              project files (*.dsw, *.dsp).
              Everything else (SDL 1.2.3) can be downloaded at http://www.libsdl.org

              If you do not have MSVC and want a freeware compiler instead, it should be
              possible to use the GNU mingw32 compiler. However I do not have any

              Should be OK.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
                Dear Jim,

                > I did not look at the sound with the oscilloscope yet, but the phase
                > was all over the place. I do not know if you did that on purpose or not.
                > I did not like to listen to it....

                The (phase) delay was 400us. Also there was an additional
                random amplitude modulation. :

                void InitUserData(void){
                Prog01.PulseLength_sec=0.003;
                Prog01.StartFreq=10.0;
                Prog01.EndFreq=20.0;
                Prog01.SweepDuration_sec=3*60;
                Prog01.Delay_sec=400e-6;//400e-6;
                Prog01.Volume_dB=0; // not yet implemented
                Prog01.Attenuation_dB=-6;//-20;
                };

                > Could you write a version with no delays and rand() functions to
                > see if the pulses were working. Just equal pulses that sound centered.

                Ok.

                I have set all random parameters and delay to 0:

                void InitUserData(void){
                Prog01.PulseLength_sec=0.003;
                Prog01.StartFreq=10.0;
                Prog01.EndFreq=20.0;
                Prog01.RandomFreqVariation=0.0;//+- random range added to frequency sweep
                Prog01.SweepDuration_sec=3*60;
                Prog01.Delay_sec=00e-6;//400e-6;
                Prog01.Volume_dB=0; // not yet implemented
                Prog01.Attenuation_dB=0;//-6;//-20;
                };

                The *.exe (zipped, 3.85 KB) is in the attachment.
                Just copy/extract it over your previous exe-file.

                > I am studying your code. I have never used structures before.

                Structures are just a handy way to keep data together by defining
                a new datatype (e.g. struct TSoundParameter) and some instances of this
                new datatype (e.g. Prog01).

                If you have a pointer to the structure, you can access the data with the
                "->" operator. If you have an instance (also called variable) of the
                structure, you access the data with the "." operator.

                Joerg
              • Jim Meissner
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2002
                  Dear Joerg:

                  That sounds much better!  Good job!

                  This is where the art comes in.  The brain does not like to be messed with.  You have to sneak up on it slowly and push it ever so gently.  If you don't it ignores you!

                  Those people on this and the Mind-l group who think they can play some frequency and entrain the brain and have it show up on the EEG readout, are in for a very rude awakening.