Re: [buildcheapeeg] my offer of help

  • Rob Sacks
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi Pete,

      Welcome! Here's the situation as I understand it.
      (I may be missing parts of the picture because I've
      been drifting in and out over the last several
      months.)

      At least one working prototype of the RS232EEG has
      been built and plans are available at the designer's
      website at http://www.jhansmann.de/eeg/eeg.html.
      His name is Joerg Hansmann.

      I'm not sure, but I think Joerg may be in the process
      of upgrading the design. But even his earlier design
      is far superior to the HAL or Brainmaster, the other
      two EEG machines for which plans are available.

      There is a free neurofeedback program for Joerg's
      machine which runs under Windows 95/98/Me/2000/
      XP. It's call ElectricGuru, it's written by me, and you
      can download it at:
      http://www.realization.org/page/topics/electric_guru.htm.
      This program works not only with Joerg's machine but
      also with the HAL and Brainmaster.

      It's not exactly clear to me where this group comes into
      the picture. Joerg's hardware and my software were
      created before this group came into existence. From the
      message traffic here, it seems like most people here are
      mainly interested in turning Joerg's design into a kit
      and selling it.

      Members of this group have repeated expressed interest
      in having open-source software for the machine.
      I was asked to release the source
      code for my program for that purpose but I declined
      because I wrote it very hastily and it's really not
      suitable to serve as the foundation for further development.
      (The EXE of the program is freely available at the
      URL given above.)

      However I did say that I would participate in a
      project with other programmers to write a new
      open-source program from scratch. There has been
      a lot of talk about doing that here, but so far, only one
      other programmer has volunteered to work on it
      with me, so that's kind of up in the air.

      > Also, for troubleshooting your software systems design, a fellow worker
      > dates a lady that works for a commercial company that mfg's clinical
      > bio-feedback equipment, and I can ask her for help.

      I'd be very interested in learning more about how
      EEG software is tested and validated. Sounds like
      this lady could be a big help to us.

      You might want to contact Joerg directly about building
      a prototype of his machine. His e-mail address is on his
      website.

      Best regards,

      Rob

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
        hi
        one question :what do you doing in hollyweird ? you electronics
        engineer ?
        i think rob sacks gave a pretty good summary , but :
        1. about the aim of the group - to my opinion - the goal is not kit
        but such an option that people can buy nfb at low cost .
        and i see many serious people in this group towards this .this
        is also my personal goal , the reason i started this group ,
        and i know this would be the end result !

        2. about things you can do :
        -you mentioned you're electronics engineer .
        can you designer irda interface or some infra red interface ?
        (uart to infra to rs232) ?
        -soon we think on demoing to universities .
        so we may need help on this .
        -building prototypes like you said .
        -contact with the lady that works in biofeedback company.
        one problem is that they don't make troubles for the group
        -helping in finding cheap electrodes , design good electrodes and
        all this stuff . really here we need somebody who will
        be resposible for the electrodes issue .
        -helping to find people to work with us .

        basicly i think the better ways you can help (according to your back
        ground) :
        infra red interface , and being responsible of electrodes design .
        and of course the most important is helping to find people that
        would work with us .
        but if you like other stuff better , you choose , it's democracy
        here :)

        3. about ekg - after fisnishin a 2 channel eeg version and getting
        it on the market i think that we'll have a few version to work on,
        and one of them is a very low cost machien that does multi
        modality biofeedback and neurofeedback . that would be
        interesting :) but you'll have to wait a bit .

        sincerly , yaniv vilnai .
        --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., "Pete Barth" <petebart@p...> wrote:
        > Hello to the group,
        > from Pete Barth, a newbie!
        >
        > I have NO software experience but can help with hardware.
        > I got here trying to see if there was anything offered in kit form
        > newer and more modern than the Hal-4 I had built when it first came
        out.
        > I wish I still had it but it is gone. Unless there is anything
        better I will
        > probably build one on perf board.
        > I have heard about the RS232EEG but have not been able to find it.
        > I want to build an EEG, and an EKG also. If any can point me in the
        right
        > direction - etc.
        >
        > I am a ham and have prototyped stuff since 1954. Now an engineer at
        a film
        > studio in Holly-weird.
        > I will prototype engineering samples for you guys to hold up my end
        since I
        > don't program.
        > Also, for troubleshooting your software systems design, a fellow
        worker
        > dates a lady that works for a commercial company that mfg's clinical
        > bio-feedback equipment, and I can ask her for help.
        >
        > How many people are dedicated and active here?
        > If someone wants to discuss stuff with me I will call you on the
        phone if
        > given a number.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        > Pete
        > petebart@p...
      • frans
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
          Hi Pete,

          You wrote about the HAL-4:
          "I wish i atill had it".

          You can still have it at the site of Lovass Laszlo.
          Documentation/PCB etc.

          Regards.
          Frans.