      TSOP17.pdf
      > datasheet ). That is far below the 57600 baud required by RS232EEG.
      >
      > Using a simple PIN-IR-receiver diode will work only over very short
      > distances (some cm).
      > BTW. what distance will we need ?

      i think let's say 20 cm is enough and even a lot more then we need.
      we just need to think about the comofrtablity of the user .
      and also choose ir comm with apereture angle wide enough.
      so the rx and tcx won't have to be exactly infront of each other .

      > > i don't think that would higher the price much.
      > > and the design is basicly already there (on the net).
      >
      > A complete schematic for an irda transceiver that can be connected
      > to RS232 and can handle up to 115200 baud is described here:
      > http://www.vishay.com/pdf/toim3232.pdf
      > However it uses two SMD chips and I don't know, how easy or
      difficult
      > soldering will be.

      send me the package name and description . don't send pdf - only
      std formats like html - bmp - jpg and same - cause i can't read
      them - i'll have to nstall a special software .
      but basicly - the soldering shouldn't be hard .
      i solder some smd chips , and i'm not really good with solder .
      jhust practice a lkittle before - with lows cost chips and all will
      be fine .

      > > just for the 1st version i think it'll be good.
      > > after the first version if all we'll be o.k. then i'll think we
      could
      > > work on better version easier - because we'll probably have more
      > > people .
      > > but maybe full irda is better , i don't know ?
      > > >
      > > > The FDA probably wont think so before they have approved the
      device.

      > > there's a eeg device called waverider - sells for $950 without
      fda
      > > approval -
      >
      > Perhaps they have a good lawyer or a good product liability
      insurance.

      we should have lawyer what's about it?

      > > and it's presented in futurehealth site - a very
      > > respectable site for this things .
      > > and another thing - i agree we should check it with some b.f.
      > > practicioner maybe - or somebody that will check .
      > > maybe somebody should check what it takes to run throught an
      > > fda - and how much it'll cost for a gruop of volunteers ,
      > > and if it's possible to be done by a group of volunteers ?
      > > but i don't really think fda approval is a must .
      > > i just thjink we should really check it with someone experienced
      > > before getting it to market - maybe some b.f. practicioner would
      > > volunteer -if we'l find one .

      > [patents]
      > > > The overall principle is the same.
      > >
      > > there have been numerous designes basicly the same .
      > > i don't really think there's a problem ,but i guess it's better
      > > check , and as i seen in our group we may have contacts to a
      lawyer -
      > > so it'll be o.k.
      >
      > > a little question joerg :
      > > assuming i want to be the first beta tester - let's say even of
      the
      > > version without irda - just a good version for portable pc (no
      need
      > > of isolation)
      >
      > The current prototype _is_ isolated with optoisolators. (The BM also
      > uses optoisolators for RS232).

      it's better

      > > would like to build one board and send it to me - i'll pay the
      > > costs ? how much are the costs ?
      >
      > Material cost (without casing) is about 200,- DM.
      > shipping and insurance = ? (depends on the destination)

      basicly it should be like $40 up to 5 kg , $63 up to 10 kg ,
      airmail . but you tell me how much .

      > Can you make money transfer to a german bank ?
      > (When I tried to make a transfer from Germany to USA,
      > I found out, that the banking fees are extremely high)

      i'll fgure it out .

      > Do you need casing or the raw assembled pcb ?
      > What about RS232 cable ? What length ?

      casing yes .
      long cable is always better .
      do you think 2 meter would have no problems as rs232?

      > What about power supply ?
      > If your laptop had a gameport-connector, +5V from your laptop
      > could be used. However I don't know how much noise
      > is on that line.
      > Do you have the possibility to get +12V DC from your laptop ?
      > In this case the built in 7805 regulator could be used and line
      noise
      > would not be a problem.

      totaly battery based .
      like 6 or 5 --> 1.5v batteries depending on your regulator .

      > What connectors/sockets for electrodes are required ?
      > (banana sockets ? (in german : Bananenbuchse))
      > or better BNC or cinch ?
      > I don't know the standard for eeg-electrodes...
      >
      > BTW. Where can I get good and low-priced EEG-electrodes ?

      don't really much about this .
      i think we should define the cponnector fpor the machine and test\
      it with std. electrodes .
      this type i would like to have .
      i think 'll send a message to the group about electrodes ?

      > > when it'll be ready stable enough
      > > version of the h.w. - tested and tested in really measuring
      > > brainwaves ?
      >
      > I have sampled real brainwaves with the RS232EEG and tried
      > some alpha-feedback with Rob's Software.
      >
      > What are your demands for stability and tested in detail ?
      i just want t to work with no problems here ?
      how much time you have tested your last version ?
      which tests?
      wee should think on some pre beta tests

      > > the software i can always download from the net , so no problem .
      > >
      > > basicly my problem that my friend in israel that was supoosed to
      > > build brainmaster and send it to me - hasn't got the time - and
      also
      > > not very serious about it , so basicly i think he won't build it .
      > >
      > > i'm intend to find a buddhist lama here that would like to work
      with
      > > me using eeg and other buddhist techniques , so it may be also
      good
      > > for the public realtions of the project ?
      >
      > Sounds nice. I am really interested in samples of brainwaves of a
      meditating
      > lama. Perhaps Rob could add the feature of recording / viewing
      > eeg-data files.
      cool idea

      > regards
      >
      > Joerg