64Re: [buildcheapeeg] Re: hi folks

  • Rob Sacks
    Dec 1, 2000
      Hello Jörg,

      > A little trick with the ALT-Key ?

      I used the little Character Map program. From now on
      I'll just copy and paste. (Unless you prefer "oe"?)

      > If you provide a dialog to store only channels that are used,
      > the amount of data will be quite moderate for modern PCs.

      Yes, I think you're right.

      I think it would be best to save the voltage values
      in a machine-independent format. This requires less
      code and therefore fewer opportunities for bugs. It also
      makes it easy to guarantee that all future versions of the program
      can read all data files made by earlier versions.

      Since we can't be sure how many digits will be required
      to express the precision of future machines, the header
      will probably need a field describing the format of
      each number.

      I could, I suppose, bit-pack the voltages -- in other words,
      if there are only 1024 possible voltages, each number would
      occupy 10 bits in the file instead of 16. However, the file
      would still benefit from zipping (because its length could be
      reduced further by run-length encoding) so maybe it's not
      worth the trouble.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic