241Re: Hardware status (cheapeeg)

  • peterson@discover-net.net
    Apr 4 2:11 PM
      --- In buildcheapeeg@y..., Moritz v. Buttlar <info@b...> wrote:
      > > > would say, however, that I believe we should aim to produce a
      > > > device that everyone can use, not just those with the right
      > > > hardware.
      > > > Regards
      > > > Eric
      > >
      > > I have to agree, I think it is absolutely vital to have a common
      interface. If we use an interface that only a small percentage of
      users have, we might be making a dead product.

      > Most PCs have conventional 9pin RS232 serial interfaces. If we use
      this -
      > without any IrDA infrared communication - and use simple
      optocoupler-isolation,
      > I´m not sure if the design would be safe enough to meet safety
      norms.

      > What do you think ? Would it be too expensive to spend 30$ on an
      IrDA module ?
      > How many people have a notebook computer with IrDA in this group ?
      >

      > Moritz

      I have 1 laptop with & 1 without IrDA & don't think $30 is
      unreasonable, but it _is_ proabably a significant cost for some
      people, especially considering how cheap the rest of the devide will
      be. I think there are a lot of other machines on the market using
      serial connections w. optic coupling. Rex Hartzell's Discovery
      Engineering Inc. machine, for example. Lexicor connects their stuff
      to the parallel port. As a non-geek, I don't know why you would want
      to use serial rather than parallel, since I always though parallel
      was inherently faster, carrying 8 bits at once instead of 1.
      Jim
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic