2376Re: [buildcheapeeg] BWView

  • Doug Sutherland
    Mar 1, 2002
      Jim,

      > I don't think it is so sensitive to the kernel version.
      > Most stuff works fine between kernel versions, as far
      > as I am aware.

      It is a big deal usually between major revs like 2.0.x
      and 2.2.x and 2.4.x. I've seen lots of software out
      there by companies like IBM and such, they usually
      have binaries for major linux revs. That used to be
      2.0.x and 2.2.x, now it's 2.2.x and 2.4.x

      > However, the GLIBC version is pretty important, as
      > the executable links with it.

      This is a real pain for binary distribution, and glibc
      is huge. On slackware it's close to 100 MB! We can't
      really have binaries for all of the glibc versions.
      Perhaps for linux we should only have a source version
      with a good build script. For Windows we can have
      binaries for the various flavours (Win9x, WinNt, Win2K).

      -- Doug
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic