Bugle Keys

  • RJ Samp
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2001
      In days of old.....

      European Cavalry Trumpeters were in Eb.
      European Infantry Buglers (and Clairons) were in Bb.
      Some one (?) US to move's this up a 1/2 step....
      US Cavalry Trumpeters in F.
      US Infantry Buglers in C.

      But of course the bugles no longer were in the same key as the Officer's Bugles (who were used by a lot of buglers, not just officer's, especially Artillery buglers!), saxhorns, keyed bugles, etc. which is in Bb. And there are PLENTY of G Trumpets and Bb/G Officer's bugles floating around....and tons of crooks, bits, etc.

      So they came up with the Bb pigtail crook.

      A typical ACW Infantry Bugler would more than likely have a C Clairon, and on the field would NOT use the pigtail. In C, a Clairon is this shrill call of the Valkyries. A very bright tone. Played with urgency, a C Clairon can cause ones blood to rush. A very exciting signaling instrument to be sure. Much better than the A electric horn in the hockey arenas (that's in trumpet pitch, your transposition may vary).  We have a marvelous quote from Sam Perkins of the 1st MASS. He plays in C most of the time and has a hard time with the slurs and the G  in to the color. His chief bugler plays in Bb and does a great job. One day he fracs and Sam wonders if he has a cold.  After a few months, Sam sends his Bb pigtail home for safe keeping for the duration.

      These are in COPPER....most Officer's bugles are in Brass.

      Those small compact bugles you see in ACW pictures are officer's bugles. Most have a nicely shaped bell (that's a Bessel curve for those who are keeping score), no garland on the bell (that's the reinforcing ring near the rim), often have the receiver to the left of the bell looking out, no crooks, no adjustable receiver. The Chicago Mercantile Battery bugle (page 240 echoes of glory) is an upscale model. German Silver (cupro nickel, nickel plated brass), and with a G pigtail crook added to the Bb bugle.

      US typical infantry bugle is a C clairon, with garland, in copper, single loop, CLAIRON. Optional Bb pigtail crook, leave in it your knapsack, use it in camp.

      CSA typical infantry bugle is more than likely a Bb Officer's bugle or a simple G Cavalry trumpet. No crooks. KISS. The Stones River Model CSA 'bugle' from DGW is a G Cavalry Trumpet. They did have clairons (bet you they captured them from US supplies......).

      I'm still waiting for a picture of an American Civil War bugler, from a period picture, with an honest to goodness British Model 1855 Duty Bugle in his hands. Also, a ships manifest or procurement of a BDB. Have yet to see a bugle in a list of a CSA blockade runners wares coming from Britain.....

      RJ Samp

      The Samp Company Inc.
      dba Sales AutoMated Presentations

      100 W Roosevelt Rd Bldg A2, Ste 201
      Wheaton, IL   60187

      W- 630.462.7681     F- 630.462.7843
      M- 630.561.3249     H- 630.871.0626

      rjsamp@...

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2001
        RJ:

        I have seen the Pattern 1894 bugle, and, to the best of my knowledge, it has a
        cylindrical bore. Please take another look at yours.

        Bob

        >US 1894 Pattern Field Bugle in Bb "Trench Bugle"
        three loops
        8 gauge wire bugle cord loop holders
        Key of Bb, no crooks, no adjustable receiver
        made of brass
        receiver is on the right side of the bell looking out
        Bessel Curve flare (a bell shaped bell....errr, flare).
        conical bore
        marked "US Regulation"
        Bell is about 4.5" in diameter
        We should add quantitative specs to these written descriptions:
        Overall Length:
        Loop Length:
        Loop Width:
        Bell Diameter:
      • RJ Samp
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2001
          Then it would be a trumpet, not a bugle. I don't own one, nor do I plan
          to......

          Here's a quick tip on cylindrical versus conical bore...play an Arpeggio on
          it (C E G C). If you end up on a High C it's a bugle.....if you can readily
          play the arpeggio then it's a trumpet....

          RJ Samp

          The Samp Company Inc.
          dba Sales AutoMated Presentations

          100 W Roosevelt Rd Bldg A2, Ste 201
          Wheaton, IL 60187

          W- 630.462.7681 F- 630.462.7843
          M- 630.561.3249 H- 630.871.0626

          rjsamp@...

          I have seen the Pattern 1894 bugle, and, to the best of my knowledge, it has
          cylindrical bore. Please take another look at yours.

          Bob

          >US 1894 Pattern Field Bugle in Bb "Trench Bugle"
          three loops
          8 gauge wire bugle cord loop holders
          Key of Bb, no crooks, no adjustable receiver
          made of brass
          receiver is on the right side of the bell looking out
          Bessel Curve flare (a bell shaped bell....errr, flare).
          conical bore
          marked "US Regulation"
          Bell is about 4.5" in diameter
          We should add quantitative specs to these written descriptions:
          Overall Length:
          Loop Length:
          Loop Width:
          Bell Diameter:

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: bugle@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: bugle-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/bugle
        • Carol Lee Pattridge
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 8, 2004
            To All Fellow Buglers,
                 Is it proper and correct to use vibrato while playing TAPS?
               buglerdave,   Cushing's Battery A