Austrailian Giant Spiny Stick insects

  • lwhite66@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2001
      Help !! I was given two stick bugs in October, when we were visiting
      Washington state. We are living in Tennessee. At the time, I had rose
      plants to feed them. I froze some and they have been munching on
      these all winter. We noticed that a couple of days ago one of the
      bugs seemed to be dying. It is now gone. and they other is looking
      sick. I mist the aquarium with water everyday with distilled water.
      Is there something that I'm doing wrong ? the people who gave us the
      bugs sent a care sheet with them. They have molted 3 - 4 times and
      are, were 3 - 4 inches long. Do they only live a certain amount of
      time ? please write back and let me know.

      Thanks
      Lorie White

      EDITORS NOTE:
      I believe they have a life span of about a year in the adult stage. Paul Brock suggests that they may not be getting enough nourishment from rose leaves alone and that you should try other plants with evergreen leaves - Eucalyptus is particularly good if you can find any. Temperature is also important as well as moisture, they should be kept at about 20 degrees Centigrade.