Can anyone help me identify this bug?

  • ROBERT CHILDS
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2003
      When I was young, we used to have hundreds of bugs we always referred
      to as sand puppies. Someone told me later they were called lion ants
      (not ant lions). We haven't seen any of these for almost 30 years now, but
      when I tell my children about them, they think I'm making it up. I've
      searched for pictures, but have found none. It was a large ant looking
      insect maybe 2" long. It was a light tan color and it's hind end was striped
      with dark brown or black rings. they burrowed down in our sand boxes
      and came out whenever we played in there. They seemed harmless
      enough, crawling on us without biting. Can anyone tell me what this is or
      locate a picture of one to show my kids? I would sure appreciate it!