Help identifying a bug/insect

  • aselby7797
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 9:04 PM
      Hello,

      I am curious about a creature that I have seen a few times in my
      area. I live in Placerville, California. It is about 50 miles east
      of Sacramento in the foothills. I will try my best to describe the
      bug. The body is earth tones, tannish and I think dark brown
      stripes. It is long and thin, about 1 to 2 inches I'd say and seems
      to be totally surrounded with legs on all sides of it. Kind of daddy-
      long leg spider type legs, I think they have a bend like a knee and
      they're very long. The creature looks maybe like it could be some
      kind of a centipede but I see no jaws on the front. It is difficult
      to tell which end is the front until it moves. When it does move, it
      is all spindly legs, very creepy! And fast. I suppose maybe two of
      the "legs" on the front could be long antennae. It looks like a long
      oblong shape with legs all around it. I've seen it three times in
      about 10 years, once in a bathtub, once on the kitchen floor, and
      just recently in a kitchen sink. I have no idea what class or group
      it could be put into, like I said the closest I could get would be
      some type of centipede. It just seems to be totally covered in
      legs! Maybe someone can identify it and let me know where I can see
      pictures of it, or at least provide some good places to search on the
      web. Thank you for your assistance!

      Editors Note:-

      How about a house centipede? There is a picture of one in the files area of this forum, at:-

      For further details see:-

      http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2067.html
    • febbi25@attbi.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5 7:30 PM
        I believe what you have found is a scutigerid. They are fairly short
        centipedes with paler brown markings. They have 15 pairs of very long legs and
        at the rear they are much longer than the front. The body is kept straight by
        rigid, overlapping plates. The females lay one egg at a time on the ground.
        Newly hatched young have 7 pairs of legs. They are very fast running
        insectivores. They can grow up to 1 1/4 to 12 inches long.

        If you have any questions you can contact me.
        Angie
        febbi25@...

        EDITORS NOTE: Are there any scutigerids which are native to California
        though? I couldnt find any references on the net.