texas bugs

  • AmBeR LuJaN
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
      there are two bugs that frequent my neighborhood near san antonio,
      tx. they look like they could be related. take a look here:
      http://umpaumpa.tripod.com/bugs/bugs.html
      are they related?
      my grandmother used to get those grey looking ones in her home in
      new mexico, and she called them "stink bugs." is that what they
      are? you can't tell by the pictures, but the green one was ..
      oh .. about 3/4 inch.. and the grey one was .. maybe an inch and
      a half.. or a bigger. it was a pretty big bug.
    • john riggins
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
        This looks a lot like a "stink bug" (family
        pentatomidae), but I think it is in fact what is
        called a leaf footed bug (order hemiptera,family
        coreidae). You can tell by the enlarged hind femurs.
        Hope this helps.
        John
        --- AmBeR LuJaN <ladida@...> wrote:
        > there are two bugs that frequent my neighborhood
        > near san antonio,
        > tx. they look like they could be related. take a
        > look here:
        > http://umpaumpa.tripod.com/bugs/bugs.html
        > are they related?
        > my grandmother used to get those grey looking ones
        > in her home in
        > new mexico, and she called them "stink bugs." is
        > that what they
        > are? you can't tell by the pictures, but the green
        > one was ..
        > oh .. about 3/4 inch.. and the grey one was ..
        > maybe an inch and
        > a half.. or a bigger. it was a pretty big bug.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • john riggins
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
          AHHH...
          I missed the second photo of the green bug because I
          didn't scroll down. The green one is a stink bug.

          --- AmBeR LuJaN <ladida@...> wrote:
          > there are two bugs that frequent my neighborhood
          > near san antonio,
          > tx. they look like they could be related. take a
          > look here:
          > http://umpaumpa.tripod.com/bugs/bugs.html
          > are they related?
          > my grandmother used to get those grey looking ones
          > in her home in
          > new mexico, and she called them "stink bugs." is
          > that what they
          > are? you can't tell by the pictures, but the green
          > one was ..
          > oh .. about 3/4 inch.. and the grey one was ..
          > maybe an inch and
          > a half.. or a bigger. it was a pretty big bug.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Chelsea Holland
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
            Amber,
            The first one is a Leaf Footed Bug and the green one
            is a Green Stink Bug. They both belong to the order of
            Hemiptera. They are Common all over!!! And they
            Smell!!
            Chelsea