Caterpillar question???

  • juliennes13
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2002
      I'm kind of in a quandry here!
      We live in Northern New Jersey and we have an outdoor vegetable
      garden. We took some basil stems in to root them, so we could have
      a basil plant inside for the winter. We noticed several days later
      that all the leaves had been eaten, and nearby on one of our house
      plants was a small, fat green caterpillar in the process of
      cocooning!! I have no idea what kind of caterpillar it is, but
      basically my question is, what do I do with him?! Should he stay in
      my house or does he need to be outside? I don't want any harm to
      come to him, so hopefully someone can tell me what I should do!!
      Thanks in advance!

      Julienne
    • plf_cg
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2002
        I would say cut of the part of the palnt with the coccoon and put it
        outside in a sheltered place amongst vegetation.

        best wishes

        ¨Jan