RE: [bugclub] Digest Number 297 (? Caterpillar)

  • Philip G. Bell
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2002
      Oops - I forgot to say, we found it on a Fuschia
      Phil

      From: "mindings" <philip@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 18:14:20 -0000
      From: "mindings" <philip@...>
      Subject: Caterpillar?

      Can anyone help with identifying a large caterpillar found in my
      garden in Hertfordshire. I have a jpg picture which I can email if it
      helps. Its a kind of grey-brown with a slight green tinge. It was
      about 1/2 inch across and about 4 inches long approx. There are about
      8 segments, a slightly bulbous head with 4 very dominant black spots
      2 of head segment and 2 on next segment. After that the spots are
      still there 2 to a segment but fainter. No obvious hairs.

      I admit to knowing nothing about caterpillars but have only ever seen
      smaller more common ones in the past, never one this big.

      Phil

      EDITORS NOTE: It would make it much more likely to identify it with a
      picture, do you know what it was feeding on? It sounds like one of the
      Elephant Hawkmoths but a picture may make it possible to be certain.
      You can upload a picture to the files area at:

      using the "add file" facility

      or send it attached to another e-mail to this site and I will check it out
      for you.

    • Paul Boswell
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1 1:49 AM
        Hi Phil,

        In that case, as the editor has suggested, it's almost certain to be an Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillar.  Although feeding on Willow herb in the wild, they are extremely fond of gardeners' prize fuschias.

        Paul.

                   From: "mindings" <philip@...>

        Message: 1