Darth Vader Bug - Identification please? CORRECTION

  • Homo
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9, 2013
      Correction to previous message where there was no link to the photo album.

      Hello everyone :-)
      Any idea what the creature in the photo album may be?
      It has 6 legs, does not seem to have wings, has a sting-like end, 2 antennae, lots of colors and a DarthVader-esk mask with lots of extras in front.
      It is quite big (approx.10cm length x 7cm width), and walks/crawls slowly.
      Encountered in Greece on May 7th, 2013.
      We are quite intrigued, and would really like to know more about it.
      Thank you for your time,
      Sincerely,
      Lalou Papageorgopoulou
      ________
      Photos: Lalou Papageorgopoulou

      Photo album link:
    • gordonjarvis@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9, 2013
        Hi
        I think you will find it is a bush cricket. Poss Tettigoniidae sp.

        Gordon

        --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Homo" <homo.arboreal@...> wrote:

        > Correction to previous message where there was no link to the photo album.
        >
        > Hello everyone :-)
        > Any idea what the creature in the photo album may be?
        > It has 6 legs, does not seem to have wings, has a sting-like end, 2 antennae, lots of colors and a DarthVader-esk mask with lots of extras in front.
        > It is quite big (approx.10cm length x 7cm width), and walks/crawls slowly.
        > Encountered in Greece on May 7th, 2013.
        > We are quite intrigued, and would really like to know more about it.
        > Thank you for your time,
        > Sincerely,
        > Lalou Papageorgopoulou
        > ________
        > Photos: Lalou Papageorgopoulou
        >
        > Photo album link:

      • Maria
        Message 3 of 8 , May 10, 2013
          Hello Lalou,

          It is indeed a cricket as suggested by Morgaston (female due to the ovipositor) and the species is: Callimenus macrogaster.

          Best wishes

          Maria

          --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Homo" <homo.arboreal@...> wrote:

          > Correction to previous message where there was no link to the photo album.
          >
          > Hello everyone :-)
          > Any idea what the creature in the photo album may be?
          > It has 6 legs, does not seem to have wings, has a sting-like end, 2 antennae, lots of colors and a DarthVader-esk mask with lots of extras in front.
          > It is quite big (approx.10cm length x 7cm width), and walks/crawls slowly.
          > Encountered in Greece on May 7th, 2013.
          > We are quite intrigued, and would really like to know more about it.
          > Thank you for your time,
          > Sincerely,
          > Lalou Papageorgopoulou
          > ________
          > Photos: Lalou Papageorgopoulou
          >
          > Photo album link:

        • markj
          Message 4 of 8 , May 10, 2013
            This beautiful large buch cricket is called: Callimenus macrogaster

            She is found around Greece and South Eastern Europe.

            Mark

            --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Homo" <homo.arboreal@...> wrote:

            > Correction to previous message where there was no link to the photo album.
            >
            > Hello everyone :-)
            > Any idea what the creature in the photo album may be?
            > It has 6 legs, does not seem to have wings, has a sting-like end, 2 antennae, lots of colors and a DarthVader-esk mask with lots of extras in front.
            > It is quite big (approx.10cm length x 7cm width), and walks/crawls slowly.
            > Encountered in Greece on May 7th, 2013.
            > We are quite intrigued, and would really like to know more about it.
            > Thank you for your time,
            > Sincerely,
            > Lalou Papageorgopoulou
            > ________
            > Photos: Lalou Papageorgopoulou
            >
            > Photo album link:

          • markj
            Message 5 of 8 , May 10, 2013
              This beautiful large bush cricket is called: Callimenus macrogaster

              She is found around Greece and South Eastern Europe.

              Mark

              --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Homo" <homo.arboreal@...> wrote:

              > Correction to previous message where there was no link to the photo album.
              >
              > Hello everyone :-)
              > Any idea what the creature in the photo album may be?
              > It has 6 legs, does not seem to have wings, has a sting-like end, 2 antennae, lots of colors and a DarthVader-esk mask with lots of extras in front.
              > It is quite big (approx.10cm length x 7cm width), and walks/crawls slowly.
              > Encountered in Greece on May 7th, 2013.
              > We are quite intrigued, and would really like to know more about it.
              > Thank you for your time,
              > Sincerely,
              > Lalou Papageorgopoulou
              > ________
              > Photos: Lalou Papageorgopoulou
              >
              > Photo album link:

            • Homo Arboreal
              Message 6 of 8 , May 10, 2013
                Dear Mark and BugClub,

                THANK YOU!!!
                Yes, that is her alright! Bravo!!!

                "Our" one was quite bigger than it is described in various sites  (5,5cm), and if I understood correctly probably female because of the "sting" (and size).
                We will keep searching to learn all we can about her. She impressed us.

                I emailed your group after I emailed the Greek University Entomology Dept.
                I have heard nothing from them. :-(
                I was really impressed by the work they seem to be doing in Turkey on her, based on the amount of information on the internet, compared to the 1 result we got from any Greek site which was from 1993 and was just a classification without any more information or photo.
                I hope we do better soon, as this is a measure of "worthiness" in my humble eyes.

                You have made us very happy, thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge with us in such an effective way.
                It is very difficult to search in the "dark".
                We owe you one!

                Thank you again,
                :-)
                Lalou

                This beautiful large bush cricket is called: Callimenus macrogaster

                She is found around Greece and South Eastern Europe.

                Mark

                --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Homo" <homo.arboreal@...> wrote:

                > Correction to previous message where there was no link to the photo album.
                >
                > Hello everyone :-)
                > Any idea what the creature in the photo album may be?
                > It has 6 legs, does not seem to have wings, has a sting-like end, 2 antennae, lots of colors and a DarthVader-esk mask with lots of extras in front.
                > It is quite big (approx.10cm length x 7cm width), and walks/crawls slowly.
                > Encountered in Greece on May 7th, 2013.
                > We are quite intrigued, and would really like to know more about it.
                > Thank you for your time,
                > Sincerely,
                > Lalou Papageorgopoulou
                > ______
                > Photos: Lalou Papageorgopoulou
                >
                > Photo album link:

              • markj
                Message 7 of 8 , May 12, 2013
                  So glad to have been of help Lalou

                  Mark

                  --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, Homo Arboreal <homo.arboreal@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Mark and BugClub,
                  >
                  > THANK YOU!!!
                  > Yes, that is her alright! Bravo!!!
                  >
                  > "Our" one was quite bigger than it is described in various sites  (5,5cm), and if I understood correctly probably female because of the "sting" (and size).
                  > We will keep searching to learn all we can about her. She impressed us.
                  >
                  > I emailed your group after I emailed the Greek University Entomology Dept.
                  > I have heard nothing from them. :-(
                  > I was really impressed by the work they seem to be doing in Turkey on her, based on the amount of information on the internet, compared to the 1 result we got from any Greek site which was from 1993 and was just a classification without any more information or photo.
                  > I hope we do better soon, as this is a measure of "worthiness" in my humble eyes.
                  >
                  > You have made us very happy, thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge with us in such an effective way.
                  > It is very difficult to search in the "dark".
                  > We owe you one!
                  >
                  > Thank you again,
                  > :-)
                  > Lalou
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Homo Arboreal
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 5 6:17 AM

                    Just to set the record straight, and explain my unintentional "rudeness".

                    You migh be wondering why I only mentioned Mark in my message of thanks for his answer and help in the identification of the beautiful Callimenus macrogaster, and never Gordon and Maria who answered before Mark.
                    Very simple answer:
                    Mark's answer was in my inbox, Gordon's and Maria's in Spam.
                    I only found Gordon's and Maria's messages today by accident.
                    I apologise and hasten to make up:
                    Thank you Gordon, thank you Maria .
                    All I mentioned in that thank you message go to you too.

                    :-)