Bug from Colombia

  • JOHN
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
      I have posted a pic of a somewhat fearsome ( but maybe not!!) bug I found on a wall in the Santa Marta Mts. of N. Colombia. This wall collected lots of moths at night around lights so this bug may well be nocturnal too. The pic is posted in a folder labelled " Bug from Colombia" Does anyone have any ideas?.....thanks.
    • Maria
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013
        Have commented the following on photo:

        "Wow! What a stunner! I'm no expert, especially with 'foreign' insects, but I'd guess at Neuroptera (Lacewing species)"

        Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will confirm or correct me!! :-)

        --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <johnhopkins77@...> wrote:

        > I have posted a pic of a somewhat fearsome ( but maybe not!!) bug I found on a wall in the Santa Marta Mts. of N. Colombia. This wall collected lots of moths at night around lights so this bug may well be nocturnal too. The pic is posted in a folder labelled " Bug from Colombia" Does anyone have any ideas?.....thanks.

      • NATALIE waller
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013
          Looks like a dobsonfly (Megaloptera) - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonflies

        • johnhopkins77@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013
            Natalie,

              Thank you....yes, that’s  exactly  what it is! And Maria, they’re  closely  related to Lacewings  so a  good  guess.  Apparently  the  nearest relatives in the UK (where I live) is the much smaller  Alder Flies...but I haven’t  come across them as they are aquatic and  keep a fairly  low profile. Incidentally, I read that the huge  mandibles  of the male ( which this is) are used to grasp the female but  cannot  inflict a  bite...but the much smaller  mandibles  of the female  can draw blood.Interesting stuff...and  thank you  both very much for your  help.
            Next I need to find out who Dobson was........
                             John.