Anyone know what this bug is?

  • ssmeow
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011

      I saw it on my front porch here in Pittsburgh in late September. It is an evil looking thing.
    • ashe
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
        Coreidae- Leaf-footed bug?

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
          Nope - I already got the right answer - it's called a Jerusalem cricket - apparently very common in California, even though I had never seen one before last week.

          EDITORS NOTE:

          No you are mistaken, the e-mail you have answered was not asking for identification of a Jerusalem Cricket - as suggested below the photo referred to is probably one of the Leaf-footed bugs. Although you uploaded some photos of a Jerusalem Cricket you did not send an e-mail to the forum asking for an identification - hence your photos won't have been seen by anyone.

          Several members have uploaded pictures to the photo albums recently. Please note you will NOT get a reply unless you also send an e-mail to the forum telling us that your photos are there - the forum does not tell members when photos are added to the files or photos area.

          I saw it on my front porch here in Pittsburgh in late September. It is an evil looking thing.

          No virus found in this message.

          This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is intended only for use by the
          addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
          information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are
          hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail,
          and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
          e-mail in error, please immediately notify me at 310.855.3200 and permanently
          delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.

          IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations governing
          tax practice, you are hereby advised that any written tax advice contained
          herein was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any
          taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
          U.S. Internal Revenue Code.
        • ssmeow
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2011
            No...not leaf footed and not cricket. I believe it is an assassin bug. Well....it sure looks like one when compared with photos I've seen online. No expert here...not even close but comparing ,y photo to assassin bug it sure looks like it to me untrained eyes.

            EDITORS NOTE:

            The main problem is that we cannot see any detail on the photograph you have uploaded because it is taken against a white background. There are thousands of species in the true bug group so it has to be an exceptional photograph to get close to a positive ID. Having dug out some of the detail on your photograph it could be one of the family Coreidae or another family.