Assasin bug, but no cigar!

  • fubarbunny420
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2002
      I looked up the Assasan bug on several different websites, and it
      looks VERY similar! The one that I have in particular though, is
      wingless. The overall color is a dull gray, and the lower abdomen is
      curved upwards. I would really like to learn more about this bug. It
      is true though that they are agressive, I had a hard time
      photographing it, as it was rearing up at me! The only thing that I
      didnt like after looking at the websites, is that "some" species can
      squirt the venom out their beaks, and cause temporary blindness in
      humans...kinda creepy since I was only inches away from the little
      critter.

      Thanks for the help thus far,
      Kelly :)

      Hi Kelly, I am sure Malcolms suggestion is on the right lines it is just a
      matter of finding out which species it might be. Their life cycle is egg,
      nymph and then adult. The nymphs shed their skins several times (7 in
      some cases) as they develop and during this stage they are wingless.

      The one you have photographed may be close to full size as a nymph.
      There are some good pictures of one of the largest of these bugs at:-

      http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/subimages.cfm?sub=2118

      Have a look at all the pictures of the nymphs - there are some excellent
      pics. from different angles.

      Reg Fry