Re: [bugclub] What wasps/hornets are these in this Japanese print?

  • Lauren Armstrong
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 8:16 AM, beesinart <contact@...> wrote:

      I would be very interested to know if anyone can identify the wasp/hornet in this print - they look suspiciously fluffy to me? They may well be a Japanese species? The artist thinks that they are bees - is she right? I don't think so, but I'm ready to be proved wrong.

      With thanks,

      Andrew

      [img]http://www.aprilvollmer.com/files_hanga/images/twice_busy.jpg[/img]

      I don't think I can identify the exact species, but these seem to be bees. Wasps tend to be slender and hairless, while bees are more robust and some can get quite hairy. I'm not an expert, but to me, the coloration of these bees looks wasp-like, but the characteristics are that of bees.However, the body shape is also vaguely wasp-like.  I don't know. Perhaps the artist wasn't trying to render a certain species, but an atmosphere. Anyways, I hope this helps.