What bug is this?

  • reiklen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
      I live in the province of Alberta, Canada. I have these strange bugs that enjoy hiding under things (coolers, BBQ cover, etc) out on my patio. Occasionally I will get one or two of them in my condo. I was wondering what they are as I have never seen anything like them until I moved to my current residence. Any assistance in helping to identify this critter would be much appreciated!

      Thanks!

      Picture:
      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sNrtSnDSbIWv8BKdL1SZr4quWq-LRRsTLwd77HiEKSbfcrVFx7e4U3ltyTrpF6xC8YxFHxeiZcIOYIwm0ugR8p8HgLvg/%20Unidentified%20Bugs/IMG_0056.JPG
    • Andy Chick

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2010
          I've just found an insect crawling from under my sofa. It is:

          1- About 1.5cm long
          2- Pale brown with dark brown joins between each body segment.
          3- 3 pairs of legs by the head
          4- The rest of the body was legless.
          5- Black pincer like nose.

          I live in Norfolk, England - the room has wooden floorboards.

          Any help telling what this is would be great.
          Thanks
        • ravi kumar
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2010
            That may be a beetle larvae.

            I've just found an insect crawling from under my sofa. It is:

            1- About 1.5cm long
            2- Pale brown with dark brown joins between each body segment.
            3- 3 pairs of legs by the head
            4- The rest of the body was legless.
            5- Black pincer like nose.

            I live in Norfolk, England - the room has wooden floorboards.

            Any help telling what this is would be great.
            Thanks

            Pictures of the eggs, larvae and pupae of UK Lepidoptera can be viewed at:
            http://www.ukleps.org/

            The next AES Exhibition at Kempton Park Racecourse, Middlesex, is on Saturday 2 October 2010, open from 11.00 am to 5.00pm. For further details and information on membership of the AES see the AES Website at http://www.amentsoc.org/.

            For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug Club (open to those under 13) see the AES Bug Club website at
            http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub

            .

          • Amy Johnson
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2010
              Thanks for that, after looking at images this does seem likely now. I know it's hard to tell without knowing which type of beetle it is, but is it likely to have been an odd one or where there's one are there likely to be more?

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2014
            • onefunfroggy
              Message 7 of 8 , Jun 23, 2014

              Found in south Lake Tahoe area Ca.  6300 feet elevation near forested area.

            • mulattokid
              Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7 3:26 AM
                Did you get a response to this question?

                This could be the Californian Long horned beetle Species: The white-spotted sawyer or spruce sawyer[1] (Monochamus scutellatus)

                Monochamus scutellatus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia    Mark