Help identifying orange flying insect near Aberdeen uk 31st March

  • amilne1945
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009
      I have uploaded a file Insect1.jpg to identify2, seen on top of the cliffs at Gregness, Aberdeen, uk on 31st March. Orange, about 30mm long, about 30mm long antennae, translucent 20mm long wings along body. Seems to have short proboscis. It may be larger than I have said.
      I can't identify it from the resources I have, and it's a pity you can't google a picture. :(
      Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated. I don't seem to be able to download the file, so it is also available at:
      http://www.amilne.co.uk/indiabirdreport2007/AberdeenRedKites/Cove%20to%20Torry/slides/Insect1.html

      Thanks

      Alex
    • Malcolm Storey
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009

        Hi Alex,

        It’s an ichneumon wasp. They’re often named as Ophion or Ophion luteum, but there are a number of very similar species.

        HTH

        Malcolm

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009
          Many Thanks Malcolm.
          Absolutely fascinating.
          It isn't in my insect guide. More expense but worth it for identifying
          the bugs we come across.

          Alex

          --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Storey" <malcolm.storey@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Alex,
          >
          > It's an ichneumon wasp. They're often named as Ophion or Ophion
          luteum, but
          > there are a number of very similar species.
          >
          > HTH
          >
          > Malcolm

          Behalf Of
          > amilne1945
          > Sent: 02 April 2009 11:22
          > To: bugclub@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [bugclub] Help identifying orange flying insect near Aberdeen
          uk
          > 31st March
          >

          > I have uploaded a file Insect1.jpg to identify2, seen on top of the
          cliffs
          > at Gregness, Aberdeen, uk on 31st March. Orange, about 30mm long,
          about 30mm
          > long antennae, translucent 20mm long wings along body. Seems to have
          short
          > proboscis. It may be larger than I have said.
          > I can't identify it from the resources I have, and it's a pity you
          can't
          > google a picture. Image removed by sender. :(
          > Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated. I don't seem
          to be
          > able to download the file, so it is also available at:

          http://www.amilne.co.uk/indiabirdreport2007/AberdeenRedKites/Cove%20to%2\
          0Tor
          > ry/slides/Insect1.html
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Alex

        • michelle montgomery
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009
            it looks like some sort of Ichnuemonid wasp (Family: Ichnuemonidae). I believe they are for the most part parasitoids of other insects (ie butterflies, moths, hoppers, etc..).