weird red bugs standing on my ligustrums

  • Ted Irving of TedTV
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
      If you go to the bugclub page under photos, look for the album called "Ted insect from Fresno, Texas." I have posted two pictures of some very weird red looking bugs with black legs. One of them has white speckles on its back. They just sit in one place and rarely move. If you have any ideas as to what these are let me know. I'd also like to know if they are eating or destroying my plants. Thanks

      Ted A. Irving, M.A.
      Japan Fulbright Teacher
      Final Cut Pro 5 Certified/Avid Media Composer
      Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
      www.tedtv.tv
      Veoh TV Channel - http://www.veoh.com/channels/2003TedTV
      (713)501-9706

    • Gordon Ramel
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009

        Dear Ted,

                        Your bugs are probably not eating the plant, given that the photos don't give a lot of detail, I would guess they were larval (immature) Heteropterans of the family Reduviidae.  What you might call Wheel Bugs or Assassin Bugs.  A better photo would help, they may alternatively be from the family Lygaeidae or similar (Ground Bugs).  Hopefully an American entomologist will see this and be able to help you more than I can.

                                         Gordon