bug for identification please

  • fionam27
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      I saw this bug in Phalaborwa, South Africa (Near the Kruger National Park) in March 2006.
      If I remember right it was quite early morning,  and was found outside the house, sat on a white plastic chair in the sun.
      Was about 6cm long x 3or4cm wide.
      I'm interested to know what it is. I didn't see any others there, and havent seen any photos on the internet.
      Thanks!

      **Photograph in the "1-for identification" photo's section**
    • Michael Kalamaja

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
          Your Bug is a 'King Cricket', Orthoptera: Stenopelmatidae and if it was 'found' on the chair then somebody put it there for you to notice, as can be seen from the photo it is flightless.

                                       Gordon Ramel www.earthlife.net/

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
            Hi
            Some sort of Giant Cricket