I Dont Know What It Is?

  • beckypage66
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
      Hi,
      > I have seen a bumble bee type insect in my back garden which I have
      > never seen befor. It is larger than the average "large" bumble bee and
      > has a louder buzz. The strangest thing about it is that it has a
      shiney
      > green back which when caught in the sun is quite bright. I have no
      > pictures of this bee but I have had it visit my garden a few times.
      > Would you know what it is and if its common? I have tried to find
      > information on the net with no luck. This bee alarms me as I am not
      > familiar with it. I live in north Devon incase you needed to know what
      > part of the UK Im in.

      Someone has said it may be a Rose Chafer but after looking at pics of
      one i can say its definatley not a little green bug.

      Any ideas? Thanx.
    • Graeme Stroud
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008

        I may be completely on the wrong track here, but check out the Carpenter Bee.

        This article is from The Independent a year or so ago:

        http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/honey-monster-watch-out-for-the-violet-carpenter-bee-440552.html

        Graeme Stroud
        Computer Systems Analyst
        Telephone  00 44 (0)1474 546288
        Fax            00 44 (0)1474 543788

        > I have seen a bumble bee type insect in my back garden which I have
        > never seen befor. It is larger than the average "large" bumble
        bee and
        > has a louder buzz. The strangest thing about it is that it has a
        shiney
        > green back which when caught in the sun is quite bright. I have no
        > pictures of this bee but I have had it visit my garden a few times.
        > Would you know what it is and if its common? I have tried to find
        > information on the net with no luck. This bee alarms me as I am not
        > familiar with it. I live in north Devon incase you needed to know what
        > part of the UK Im in.

        Someone has said it may be a Rose Chafer but after looking at pics of
        one i can say its definatley not a little green bug.

        Any ideas? Thanx.

        Comma Oil & Chemicals Limited
        Dering Way, Gravesend, Kent DA12 2QX

        (Registered in England: Number 2075698. Registered Office as above)

        (If the e-mail is received in error, inform the sender immediately and do not copy the e-mail, use its contents or disclose them to any unauthorised third party).