Mantis

  • joanne10fudge
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 5:56 AM
      I recently bought a female flower mantis. It's in its first stage,
      about 2cmlong. I bought some small brown crickets, which are between
      half and one cm long. It's in a small container, about 7cm high and
      about 4 cm wide, with something to climb on. But since I brought it
      home, it hasn't caught anything at all - even the smallest crickets.
      Im having to feed it by hand - I've given it half a cricket which it
      nibbled, but it didn't grab it and eat it, it just ate it from my
      finger. I'ts looking really weak, even though I try to feed it twice
      a day - it's not holding its abdomen up or sitting in the preying
      position. I spoke to the dealer, who couldn't offer any help...What
      am I doing wrong? I will be really upset if it dies. My friend
      bought a male of the same species at the same time as I bought mine
      and his is fine. It's eating regularly and has already shed it's
      skin. HELP!!!
    • john howells
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 3:25 PM
        Hello Joanne,
        To start with, your mantid is fairly well advanced -
        probably about 3 months old from the size you say it
        is!!
        Look at the wing buds on it's back - if these are
        standing up instead of lying flush with it's back then
        the mantid is about to moult.
        Otherwise try changing the conditions that you are
        keeping the mantid in,make sure the cage is well
        ventilated and spray it gently (don't get the mantid
        too wet but allow some water to land on it's face and
        arms - it will drink from here), also try increasing
        the temperature - this might help the mantid.
        As to food - you could try catching some hoverflies as
        these will be rich in nectar and pollen and are close
        to the natural food supply of the mantids - i.e.
        pollinators.To replicate this try feeding the crickets
        with honey before offering them to the mantids - you
        will need to allow at least a day of feeding to allow
        the honey to become used by the cricket and so make it
        energy rich.
        Finally, mantids are delicate - often they become weak
        for no apparent reason - all you can do is to try your
        best. If you want to try breeding them then get at
        least 3 mantids of a species - hopefully this will
        allow you to get a good pair to adulthood, sexing
        mantids is difficult in most species - especially
        flower mantids so never rely on what you are told if
        you are trying to breed them!
        Best wishes and good luck!
        John

        --- joanne10fudge <claymoreeng@...> wrote:
        > I recently bought a female flower mantis. It's in
        > its first stage,
        > about 2cmlong. I bought some small brown crickets,
        > which are between
        > half and one cm long. It's in a small container,
        > about 7cm high and
        > about 4 cm wide, with something to climb on. But
        > since I brought it
        > home, it hasn't caught anything at all - even the
        > smallest crickets.
        > Im having to feed it by hand - I've given it half a
        > cricket which it
        > nibbled, but it didn't grab it and eat it, it just
        > ate it from my
        > finger. I'ts looking really weak, even though I try
        > to feed it twice
        > a day - it's not holding its abdomen up or sitting
        > in the preying
        > position. I spoke to the dealer, who couldn't offer
        > any help...What
        > am I doing wrong? I will be really upset if it
        > dies. My friend
        > bought a male of the same species at the same time
        > as I bought mine
        > and his is fine. It's eating regularly and has
        > already shed it's
        > skin. HELP!!!

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Claymore Engineering
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2 1:35 AM
          Thanks for your message - I'm Joanne's mother! We've looked at its wing
          buds - they are visible - that is they are not lying completely flush with
          its body, but they couldnt be desribed as "standing up". It also seems to
          have lost a leg - one of the back ones. Could this be part of the problem?

          Joanne (and Mum)
          > To start with, your mantid is fairly well advanced -
          > probably about 3 months old from the size you say it
          > is!!
          > Look at the wing buds on it's back - if these are
          > standing up instead of lying flush with it's back then
          > the mantid is about to moult.
          > Otherwise try changing the conditions that you are
          > keeping the mantid in,make sure the cage is well
          > ventilated and spray it gently (don't get the mantid
          > too wet but allow some water to land on it's face and
          > arms - it will drink from here), also try increasing
          > the temperature - this might help the mantid.
          > As to food - you could try catching some hoverflies as
          > these will be rich in nectar and pollen and are close
          > to the natural food supply of the mantids - i.e.
          > pollinators.To replicate this try feeding the crickets
          > with honey before offering them to the mantids - you
          > will need to allow at least a day of feeding to allow
          > the honey to become used by the cricket and so make it
          > energy rich.
          > Finally, mantids are delicate - often they become weak
          > for no apparent reason - all you can do is to try your
          > best. If you want to try breeding them then get at
          > least 3 mantids of a species - hopefully this will
          > allow you to get a good pair to adulthood, sexing
          > mantids is difficult in most species - especially
          > flower mantids so never rely on what you are told if
          > you are trying to breed them!
          > Best wishes and good luck!
          > John
          >

          > --- joanne10fudge <claymoreeng@...> wrote:
          > > I recently bought a female flower mantis. It's in
          > > its first stage,
          > > about 2cmlong. I bought some small brown crickets,
          > > which are between
          > > half and one cm long. It's in a small container,
          > > about 7cm high and
          > > about 4 cm wide, with something to climb on. But
          > > since I brought it
          > > home, it hasn't caught anything at all - even the
          > > smallest crickets.
          > > Im having to feed it by hand - I've given it half a
          > > cricket which it
          > > nibbled, but it didn't grab it and eat it, it just
          > > ate it from my
          > > finger. I'ts looking really weak, even though I try
          > > to feed it twice
          > > a day - it's not holding its abdomen up or sitting
          > > in the preying
          > > position. I spoke to the dealer, who couldn't offer
          > > any help...What
          > > am I doing wrong? I will be really upset if it
          > > dies. My friend
          > > bought a male of the same species at the same time
          > > as I bought mine
          > > and his is fine. It's eating regularly and has
          > > already shed it's
          > > skin. HELP!!!

          > http://health.yahoo.com

          > The provisional date for the next AES Annual Exhibition at Kempton Park
          Racecourse, Sunbury, Middlesex is Saturday the 5 October 2002. For more
          details see the AES website at:
          > http://www.theaes.org
          >
          > and click on EXHIBITION
          >
          > For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug Club see the Bug Club
          website at
          > http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub

        • john howells
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5 10:40 AM
            Hello Joanne and Mum!
            it might be that the mantid is close to a moult,
            without seeing the wingbuds it is hard to describe
            exactly the effect they show just before moulting. If
            it has lost a back leg then this could be
            disorientating it - make sure it is in a safe place
            where it is unlikely to be knocked, and that there are
            plenty of branches for it to cling to. Also if the leg
            has gone but was damaged then disease might have got
            into the mantid - the only cure for this as far as i
            know is to keep feeding the mantid and doing your best
            to make sure the mantid feeds and drinks regularly -
            i.e. use it's own immune system.
            If the mantid starts to moult but has fallen from its
            hold, then VERY carefully pick it up by the back legs
            - by the the skin which is protuding beyond the actual
            foot, or by the skin protuding over the end of the
            abdomen - this allows the mantid to hang in the
            natural position for moulting, if bits of skin become
            stuck to the mantid themn gently damp the stuck skin
            and pull off with fine tweezers - making sure not to
            go through the soft new skin of the mantid.
            I hope this helps you - they are either very difficult
            or very easy - you just have to keep trying!!
            Best wishes
            John

            --- Claymore Engineering <claymoreeng@...>

          • zmnako_ali
            Message 5 of 6 , May 25 2:32 AM
              I want information about how Mantis see things? Can anyone help.
            • Leah Kroo
              Message 6 of 6 , May 25 6:24 AM
                Hello,

                Depending on how in-depth you want to go, there is an extensive mantid physiology and behavioral book "The Praying Mantids" by Prete, Prete & Wells you can usually find it on Amazon for $50-$100.

                The book covers the physical aspects of vision, as well as the make up and functionality of the eye (as well as a host of other topics, in depth with scientific evidence to back it up shown in the book).

                Essentially mantids have multifaceted eyes with a specific sight zone. They do not have depth perception as humans have, hence the side to side sway while watching something, called "peering movements." Being able to judge the rate at which the object in the vision field moves during these peering movements, the mantid is able to determine its size, distance and its prey potential.

                -Leah

                zmnako_ali <zmnako_ali@...> wrote:
                I want information about how Mantis see things? Can anyone help.

                Pictures of the eggs, larvae and pupae of UK Lepidoptera can be viewed at:
                http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/

                The provisional date of the next AES Annual Exhibition at Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury, Middlesex is Saturday 1 October 2005, open from 11am to 4.30pm. For further details and information on membership of the AES see the AES Website at http://www.amentsoc.org/.

                For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug Club (open to those under 13) see the AES Bug Club website at
                http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub