3 bugs

  • Colleen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2007
      There are 3 pics that I posted in the Peacepupppy album that I can't
      identify. The first one is a spider but I don't know which kind. If
      anyone can help please let me know.

      Thanks,
      Colleen
    • David Howdon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 1:00 AM
        You do not say where you are from which makes it difficult.
        An indication of the size of the things would also be helpful.

        The moth puts me in mind of some sort of Arctiidea but I would not even
        be sure of that.

        --
        David Howdon (http://freespace.virgin.net/david.howdon/)
      • Colleen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1 3:41 AM
          Sorry, I am in the Shenandoah valley of VA.  Spider is about 1/2 inch. The white an black moth is about an inch long and the other thing is about 1/5 in.  Does that help?

          -colleen

          --
          David Howdon (http://freespace. virgin.net/ david.howdon/)

        • Mona Miller
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1 7:30 AM

            My favorite place to help with ids is BugGuide:

            http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740

            The moth is a Great Leopard moth.  I have raised this species.

            http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=Hypercompe+scribonia+&search=Search

            The bug is an assassin bug.  Looks like this one:

            http://bugguide.net/node/view/110957

            Says immature wheel bug

            The spider, I have no idea, but you can look thru these images:

            http://bugguide.net/node/view/1954/bgimage

            Mona Miller

            Herndon, VA ( USA ) }i{ }i{ }i{

            Support AFB:  www.forbutterflies.org

            Keep butterflies flying.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1 9:17 AM

              I’m in Herndon , VA about 1 ½ hours away so that is why I recognize the species.

              http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=brown%2C+spider&search=Search

              You can narrow your search with a species by listing some characteristics.  I put in “brown, spider” and this is what came up.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 17 1:09 PM
                Hi Mona,

                You said in an earlier reply to me that you had raised the great
                leopard moth. I was curious what you kept it in and what food and
                environment did you have to use to make it thrive.

                -Colleen

                --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mona Miller" <mona.miller@...>
                wrote:

                > My favorite place to help with ids is BugGuide:
                >

                > http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740
                >

                > The moth is a Great Leopard moth. I have raised this species.
                >
                > http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search
                > <http://bugguide.net/index.php?
                q=search&keys=Hypercompe+scribonia+&search=Se
                > arch> &keys=Hypercompe+scribonia+&search=Search
                >

                > The bug is an assassin bug. Looks like this one:
                >
                > http://bugguide.net/node/view/110957
                >
                > Says immature wheel bug
                >

                > The spider, I have no idea, but you can look thru these images:
                >
                > http://bugguide.net/node/view/1954/bgimage
                >

                > Mona Miller
                >
                > Herndon, VA (USA) }i{ }i{ }i{
                >
                > Support AFB: www.forbutterflies.org
                >
                > Keep butterflies flying.
                >
                > _____

                Behalf Of
                > Colleen
                > Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:47 PM
                > To: bugclub@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [bugclub] 3 bugsThere are 3 pics that I posted in the
                Peacepupppy
                > album that I can't
                > identify. The first one is a spider but I don't know which kind. If
                > anyone can help please let me know.
                > Thanks,
                > Colleen

              • Mona Miller
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 17 8:29 PM

                  It used Plantain, the broad leafed one.  Just a large plastic critter keeper that I got from the pet store.  It winters over in a nest made of its hair and silk.  I dug up the plant and kept it watered.

                  Mona Miller
                  Herndon , VA ( USA )
                  Join AFB:  www.forbutterflies.org

                  Keep butterflies flying…