Science fair project w/sad results!

  • hispuppet1
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2002
      My daughter started a science fair project where she was going to see
      if crickets responded differently to different foods/temps etc
      but before she could even get past the control stage, her crickets
      started eating each other! =(

      She is getting a bit upset lol.
      She feels like she has to guard them so they don't eat each other
      and even the ones who aren't eaten seem to be stressing to death.
      Any idea on what is going wrong???

      She is feeding them carrots like the lady at the pet store
      recommended in a critter carrier with reptile bedding.
      =/
      We finally figured out they needed shelter and put
      some little places to hide and they seem so much
      happier but still happy to eat anything that walks by
      Has anyone ever encountered this?

      Graffi
    • Richard Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2002
        Yes this happens all of the time. Crickets are omnivorus thus will also be canablistic. Provide more hiding space but even so some casualties will occur. Look here for more information.

        Best regards,
        Richard W Smith - Founder
        My daughter started a science fair project where she was going to see
        if crickets responded differently to different foods/temps etc
        but before she could even get past the control stage, her crickets
        started eating each other! =(

        She is getting a bit upset lol.
        She feels like she has to guard them so they don't eat each other
        and even the ones who aren't eaten seem to be stressing to death.
        Any idea on what is going wrong???

        She is feeding them carrots like the lady at the pet store
        recommended in a critter carrier with reptile bedding.
        =/
        We finally figured out they needed shelter and put
        some little places to hide and they seem so much
        happier but still happy to eat anything that walks by
        Has anyone ever encountered this?

        Graffi

        The provisional date for the next AES Annual Exhibition at Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury, Middlesex is Saturday the 5 October 2002. For more details see the AES website at:
        http://www.theaes.org

        and click on EXHIBITION

        For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug Club see the Bug Club website at
        http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub

      • Joe Foe
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2002
          Sorry I forgot to mention in several of the pages I listed they eat each other when they lack of protein in their diet.  I also feed him wheat bread.
          Joe Foe from Buffalo :-)