identify this bug

  • lilbityranchva
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
      Hi,
      Can anyone identify my bug? I have uploaded the photo to my
      album "Beths bug" and it is titled bug on fencepost 1 and bug on
      fencepost 2. I would appreciate it. He is around 2" long and was here
      yesterday and is back today. Thanks, Beth

      EDITORS NOTE: I had a job finding your photos as they were in a different album - I have moved them to the correct "Beths bug" album. You haven't told us where in the world the photos were taken - Southern Virginia?
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        Looks like an Assassin Bug. Try a Google search for assassin bug photos
        and compare.

        --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "lilbityranchva" <lilbityranchva@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Can anyone identify my bug? I have uploaded the photo to my
        > album "Beths bug" and it is titled bug on fencepost 1 and bug on
        > fencepost 2. I would appreciate it. He is around 2" long and was here
        > yesterday and is back today. Thanks, Beth
        >
        > EDITORS NOTE: I had a job finding your photos as they were in a
        different album - I have moved them to the correct "Beths bug" album.
        You haven't told us where in the world the photos were taken - Southern
        Virginia?

      • sahyaraj
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
          Dear Beth,
          I have been working on reduviids for the past 16 years.  The photo seems to be a hunter reduviid.  The behaviours also proves the same.

          Best of Luck
          K.Sahayaraj

          Thank you. I emailed the entomology dept at Virginia Tech (they are great). He is a Wheel Bug It is a predator and is beneficiary to us because it kills other bugs BUT, it has a very bad bite if handled so I left him alone. He was back yesterday but did not see him anywhere today. I have a link if anyone is interested in "Wheeler" LOL. Here it is
          Thanks again, Beth

          wrote:

          > Hi,
          > Can anyone identify my bug? I have uploaded the photo to my
          > album "Beths bug" and it is titled bug on fencepost 1 and bug on
          > fencepost 2. I would appreciate it. He is around 2" long and was here
          > yesterday and is back today. Thanks, Beth
          >
          > EDITORS NOTE: I had a job finding your photos as they were in a
          different album - I have moved them to the correct "Beths bug" album.
          You haven't told us where in the world the photos were taken - Southern
          Virginia?

                   THE COX's
                LilBityRanch
                 BETH&

        • Beth
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006

            wrote:

            > Hi,
            > Can anyone identify my bug? I have uploaded the photo to my
            > album "Beths bug" and it is titled bug on fencepost 1 and bug on
            > fencepost 2. I would appreciate it. He is around 2" long and was here
            > yesterday and is back today. Thanks, Beth
            >
            > EDITORS NOTE: I had a job finding your photos as they were in a
            different album - I have moved them to the correct "Beths bug" album.
            You haven't told us where in the world the photos were taken - Southern
            Virginia?

                     THE COX's
                  LilBityRanch
                   BETH & STEVE