Re: [bugclub] ant lions/doodlebugs where are they?

  • Sheri DeBlois
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2006
      i seen that picture but its not what we used to catch, but the hole looks familiar. it was like a tan bug, shaped like a tick i guess with pinchers on the front, they would burrow in the sand  even in a pile of sand in your hand. could it be the doodlebug? now remeber im thinking back well several years now, but i have a pretty vivid picture of them. maybe we just called them ant lions!

      Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.
    • Jack Schmidling
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
        Sheri DeBlois wrote:
        > i seen that picture but its not what we used to catch, but the hole
        > looks familiar. it was like a tan bug, shaped like a tick i guess
        > with pinchers on the front, they would burrow in the sand...

        The picture I posted was the adult winged insect. The doodle bug is the
        larva which is more or less as you described.

        As I mentioned in the article, I didn't want to destroy the trap to get
        at the larva but I really would like a pic of it so it will be a project
        for this year.

        For the record, the doodle bug is the the thing with wings as a
        caterpillar is to a butterfly.

        js

      • vaz viren
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
          HI Sheri,

          *grin* I have to say that kids from all over the world have at one point or another been fascinated by this character "The doodlebug". As a kid I remm digging them up (Mind you I never found a single one) They're just too well camouflaged for a kid who did not know what he was looking for.

          Anyway, heres an article from my favourite source of information
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion

          Regards
          Viren
          PS. I hope you find them for your kids, I used to rear them. Feed them thrice a day and everything.
          Didnt know they became winged insects and hence never saw them emerge and fly away. Always thought I'd killed one more. Ahhh the innocence of the young.

          On 6/1/06, Sheri DeBlois <cherielane@...> wrote:
          i seen that picture but its not what we used to catch, but the hole looks familiar. it was like a tan bug, shaped like a tick i guess with pinchers on the front, they would burrow in the sand  even in a pile of sand in your hand. could it be the doodlebug? now remeber im thinking back well several years now, but i have a pretty vivid picture of them. maybe we just called them ant lions!

          Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

          Pictures of the eggs, larvae and pupae of UK Lepidoptera can be viewed at:
          http://www.ukleps.org/

          The date of the next southern AES Annual Exhibition at Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury, Middlesex is Saturday 7 October 2006, open from 11am to 4.30pm. For further details and information on membership of the AES see the AES Website at http://www.amentsoc.org/.

          For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug Club (open to those under 13) see the AES Bug Club website at
          http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub

          Biology Biology book Molecular biology
          Zoology degree

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          •  Visit your group "bugclub" on the web.

        • Sheri DeBlois
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
            ty tyt ty. those are the pictures i was looking for!!!!!! i showed my kids now we are on the lookout even more!!!!!!    thanks again  sheri

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Sheri DeBlois
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
              yes a vaz viren sent me a reply with a great web sight that had the pics of the "doodlebug"   thank you for reminding me about them to begin with.   sheri