New to group - and I need an ID

  • Worf
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 30, 2006
      --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Worf" <cardnut@...> wrote:

      > There is a bug that is all over my back yard here is St Louis, and I
      > have no idea what it is. I have put a picture of the bug in the Photo
      > Section under 'St Louis Back Yard'. Can someone tell me what it is?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Steve Bowers

      To All -

      I joined this group a few weeks back, mainly to try and find out
      the kind of bug that I have in my backyard. I posted a picture of the
      bug in 'St Louis Backyard'. I am not a scientist or anything like
      that, I am just trying to determine what kind of bug I have all over
      my back yard. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you so very much.

      Steve Bowers
      St Louis, Missouri, USA
    • Dafydd Lewis
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2006
        Hi Steve,
        It's really quite difficult to tell from the photo.
        It looks like a beetle of some sort but without a closeup even that
        much isn't certain.
        Can you try taking a close up photo?
        Dafydd

        --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Worf" <cardnut@...> wrote:

        > --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Worf" <cardnut@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There is a bug that is all over my back yard here is St Louis,
        and I
        > > have no idea what it is. I have put a picture of the bug in the
        Photo
        > > Section under 'St Louis Back Yard'. Can someone tell me what it
        is?

        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > Steve Bowers
        > >
        > To All -
        >
        > I joined this group a few weeks back, mainly to try and find
        out
        > the kind of bug that I have in my backyard. I posted a picture of
        the
        > bug in 'St Louis Backyard'. I am not a scientist or anything like
        > that, I am just trying to determine what kind of bug I have all
        over
        > my back yard. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly
        appreciated.

        > Thank you so very much.
        >
        > Steve Bowers
        > St Louis, Missouri, USA

      • Worf
        Message 3 of 26 , May 9, 2006
          Dafydd,

          I will go and give it a shot. They move fairly fast for a small bug
          so it's hard to focus on them.

          Steve

          --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dafydd Lewis" <dafydd@...> wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          > It's really quite difficult to tell from the photo.
          > It looks like a beetle of some sort but without a closeup even that
          > much isn't certain.
          > Can you try taking a close up photo?
          > Dafydd
          >

          > --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Worf" <cardnut@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Worf" <cardnut@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > There is a bug that is all over my back yard here is St Louis,
          > and I
          > > > have no idea what it is. I have put a picture of the bug in the
          > Photo
          > > > Section under 'St Louis Back Yard'. Can someone tell me what it
          > is?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.
          > > >
          > > > Steve Bowers
          > > >
          > > To All -
          > >
          > > I joined this group a few weeks back, mainly to try and find
          > out
          > > the kind of bug that I have in my backyard. I posted a picture of
          > the
          > > bug in 'St Louis Backyard'. I am not a scientist or anything like
          > > that, I am just trying to determine what kind of bug I have all
          > over
          > > my back yard. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly
          > appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thank you so very much.
          > >
          > > Steve Bowers
          > > St Louis, Missouri, USA

        • Worf
          Message 4 of 26 , May 9, 2006
            Dafydd,

            Take a look at the picture in the same folder. Is that better?

            Steve

            --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Worf" <cardnut@...> wrote:

            > Dafydd,
            >
            > I will go and give it a shot. They move fairly fast for a small bug
            > so it's hard to focus on them.
            >
            > Steve
            >
            > --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dafydd Lewis" <dafydd@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Steve,
            > > It's really quite difficult to tell from the photo.
            > > It looks like a beetle of some sort but without a closeup even that
            > > much isn't certain.
            > > Can you try taking a close up photo?
            > > Dafydd
            > >

            > > --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Worf" <cardnut@> wrote:

            > > and I
            > > Photo
            > > is?

            > > > To All -
            > > >
            > > > I joined this group a few weeks back, mainly to try and find
            > > out
            > > > the kind of bug that I have in my backyard. I posted a picture of
            > > the
            > > > bug in 'St Louis Backyard'. I am not a scientist or anything like
            > > > that, I am just trying to determine what kind of bug I have all
            > > over
            > > > my back yard. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly
            > > appreciated.
            > > >
            > > > Thank you so very much.
            > > >
            > > > Steve Bowers
            > > > St Louis, Missouri, USA

          • Bug Club
            Message 5 of 26 , May 10, 2006
              Hi Steve,

              It looks like one of the "True Bugs" Order Heteroptera to me. However
              it may take a bit of research to decide which family/species it is.
              Perhaps we have an expert on true bugs on here who can point us in
              the right direction.

              The link for Steves picture is:-

              Reg

            • Dafydd Lewis
              Message 6 of 26 , May 10, 2006
                Hi Steve,
                I think this may be an immature specimen of the plant bug Leptocoris
                trivittatus (boxelder bug) or at least a related species from the
                same family (Rhopalidae).
                Regards,
                Dafydd

              • Worf
                Message 7 of 26 , May 27, 2006
                  Dafydd,

                  Thanks. This might sound odd, but are they dangerous? Could they
                  be harmful to my pets or my vegtables?

                • Dafydd Lewis
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 27, 2006
                    These are true bugs and as such they feed on trees, in particular
                    box elder, ash and maple, piercing the plant and feeding on the sap
                    rather than eating the leaves. They pose no threat to humans or
                    pets. It's quite unlikely that they would want to eat your
                    vegetables.

                    Of course, if you should get thousands of them trying to hibernate
                    in your house in winter, you might want to physically remove many of
                    them! Vaccuuming them up and then emptying the bag away from the
                    house should work if there are truly too many to cope with.

                    Dafydd

                  • Worf
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 28, 2006
                      Thanks so very much. Right now they appear to be just in the backyard.
                      I apprecaite all the help.

                      Steve

                      --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dafydd Lewis" <dafydd@...> wrote:

                      > These are true bugs and as such they feed on trees, in particular
                      > box elder, ash and maple, piercing the plant and feeding on the sap
                      > rather than eating the leaves. They pose no threat to humans or
                      > pets. It's quite unlikely that they would want to eat your
                      > vegetables.
                      >
                      > Of course, if you should get thousands of them trying to hibernate
                      > in your house in winter, you might want to physically remove many of
                      > them! Vaccuuming them up and then emptying the bag away from the
                      > house should work if there are truly too many to cope with.
                      >
                      > Dafydd

                    • Rosie Lundgren
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 21, 2009
                      • 1 Attachment
                      • 537 KB
                      We had a "herd" of these in our garden yesterday-we live on the fens near Lincoln.Please could somebody tell us what they are as they are not in our book.
                      Thanks Rosie
                    • Gordon Jarvis
                      Message 11 of 26 , Jun 21, 2009
                        Hello
                        Try looking at Nemophora degeerella a longhorn moth

                        Regards
                        Gordon

                        [Attachment(s) from Rosie Lundgren included below]

                        --
                        Gordon Jarvis
                        Peasmarsh (VC14)
                        Message 12 of 26 , Aug 27, 2010

                          I'm have a bunch of bites recently and I'm a little worried about bed bugs. This was in my bath (about 5 of them) this morning.

                          HELP PLEASE!
                        • Matt Smith
                          Message 13 of 26 , Aug 28, 2010
                            Not a bedbug - so that particular worry goes away.

                            OTOH, this is a juvenile cockroach, so that may be cause for concern.

                            Matt

                            I'm have a bunch of bites recently and I'm a little worried about bed bugs. This was in my bath (about 5 of them) this morning.

                            HELP PLEASE!

                          • Clive Rethman
                            Message 14 of 26 , Aug 30, 2010
                              Does anyone know if head lice are affected by ultrasound and, if so, is there any research on the subject?

                              Thanks.
                              Clive.

                              Message 15 of 26 , Sep 14, 2010
                                Last night sitting in my kitchen a bug of some sort landed in my hair and I want to know what it is I have never seen anything like it. It is about two inches long striped light green and a sort of black brownish color on the under side it does have wings and it has six legs that look like the legs of a cricket except they are flat and not up against the body. I is a flat low lying bug skinny very small head long antennae but it also looks like it has two more antennae coming out the sides of its back end. We are in Western Washington Mountain area close to Wenatchee but just on the western side of the mountains, if you could help me identify this I would be very appreciative. thank you
                              • GHAYOUR
                                Message 16 of 26 , May 14, 2012
                                • David Hodges
                                  Message 17 of 26 , May 15, 2012
                                    Not sure where you are in the world but its a beetle I would say some sort of chafer (Scarabaeidae) but it is remarkable.

                                    Cheers
                                        Dave

                                    To: bugclub@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: amir_ghayour2000@...
                                    Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 19:31:51 +0000

                                  • bursaw4@comcast.net
                                    Message 18 of 26 , May 16, 2012
                                      Thanks...
                                      We're in Suburban Minneapolis.
                                      bb

                                      To: bugclub@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: amir_ghayour2000@...
                                      Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 19:31:51 +0000

                                    • raizing3gentz
                                      Message 19 of 26 , Jul 5, 2014
                                      • 1 Attachment
                                      • 965 KB

                                      Hello I live in South Korea. I keep finding these in my apartment   Can someone help me identify them and what can I do to prevent them.

                                    • raizing3gentz
                                      Message 20 of 26 , Jul 9, 2014
                                        Can someone please help
                                      • Vidhya Swaminathan
                                        Message 21 of 26 , Jul 9, 2014
                                          Hi,

                                          It looks like Scutigera coleoptrata, a type of house centipede. It loves damp areas in and around your home. It can bite in self -defense and is venomous.

                                          Regards
                                          Vid

                                            Message 23 of 26 , Jul 11, 2014
                                              No, they are solitary hunters and very useful by hunting pests like flies, mosquitoes  etc.

                                              Scutigera coleoptrata

                                            • Vidhya Swaminathan
                                              Message 24 of 26 , Jul 11, 2014
                                                Hi Nicole,

                                                They are solitary animals. They are not known to swarm.

                                                Vid

                                                Message 25 of 26 , Oct 18, 2014
                                                  This was in my bathroom in Tucson Arizona.