I'm a new bugger trying to identify something

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
      hi all,
         I'm very new to this and figured this might be an easy place to start. I found this in a motel room when on holiday in Massachusetts in the US. The image is in the files section under Identity1 with the name IMG_1320_Crop. If you're so inclined and identify this, I'd love to learn about *how* to identify it. I've gone through many of the web sites out there (well, a dozen or so) and very much welcome suggestions. I suspect this is not something unusual to you experts but it's new to me.
      Thanks!!
      Steve
    • Bug Club
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2006
        Hi Steve,

        It has been suggested that it is one of the treehoppers Order Homoptera, family Membracidae, or one of the Leafhoppers family Cicadellidae

        I don't know much about these groups of insects but there are examples at:-

        and no doubt many others on the web.

        Reg

        On 4 Mar 2006, at 19:54, Steve wrote:

        hi all,
           I'm very new to this and figured this might be an easy place to start. I found this in a motel room when on holiday in Massachusetts in the US. The image is in the files section under Identity1 with the name IMG_1320_Crop. If you're so inclined and identify this, I'd love to learn about *how* to identify it. I've gone through many of the web sites out there (well, a dozen or so) and very much welcome suggestions. I suspect this is not something unusual to you experts but it's new to me.
        Thanks!!
        Steve

        Pictures of the eggs, larvae and pupae of UK Lepidoptera can be viewed at:
        http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/

        The provisional date of the next AES Exhibition is 8th April 2006 and will be located in York.

        The provisional date of the next southern AES Annual Exhibition at Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury, Middlesex is Saturday 7 October 2006, open from 11am to 4.30pm. For further details and information on membership of the AES see the AES Website at http://www.amentsoc.org/.

        For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug Club (open to those under 13) see the AES Bug Club website at
        http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub

        Biology Biology book Molecular biology
        Zoology degree

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS