little red beetle

  • qickstep10
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006
      Hello

      Please can you help me indentify a flying tiny burgundy beetle that i
      keep finding allover my kitchen and living room please. They mostly
      end up on my kitchen window sill.

      Does any one know what this is please? And how do i get rid of it??

      Thank you

      Quickstep10
    • Jonathan Romero

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2006
          Hello,
          Assuming you're in Britain, it's probably the Carpet Beetle (Anthrenus).
          They feed on organic matter, esp animal hair, in odd corners where the
          vacuum can't reach. Altho called Carpet Beetles, they can't eat modern
          synthetic carpet. If your house is spotless (like mine, not!) they may
          be coming from a bird's nest in the eaves or a dead mouse under the
          floor. Their young stage is called "woolly bear".
          HTH
          Malcolm Storey
          www.bioimages.org.uk

          Please can you help me indentify a flying tiny burgundy beetle that i
          keep finding allover my kitchen and living room please. They mostly
          end up on my kitchen window sill.

          Does any one know what this is please? And how do i get rid of it??

          Thank you

          Quickstep10

          Pictures of the eggs, larvae and pupae of UK Lepidoptera can be viewed
          at:
          http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/

          The provisional date of the next AES Exhibition is 8th April 2006 and
          will be located in York.

          The provisional date of the next southern AES Annual Exhibition at
          Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury, Middlesex is Saturday 7 October 2006,
          open from 11am to 4.30pm. For further details and information on
          membership of the AES see the AES Website at http://www.amentsoc.org/.

          For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug Club (open to those
          under 13) see the AES Bug Club website at
          http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • val caldwell