Re: [bugclub] Spider Indentification

  • Ruu bulls
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hey

      I have seen this type of spider before, I think they
      are very common, i think they also live for a long
      time, I dont know what they are called,

      Wicked pictures,

      Ruu, London
      --- tasha <rdwl@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Could you please help me identify this spider?
      I am located in western Pennsylvania. This guy has
      been here since we
      moved in this apartment at the beginning of the school
      year, in
      August. He's probably about the size of a quarter and
      has his insect-
      catching web built on a corner of our porch ceiling.
      He hides in a
      crevice in our ceiling while waiting to catch insects,
      and he also
      takes insects to the corner to eat them.

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/perfectsonnet/cd11aece.jpg

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/perfectsonnet/27db465f.jpg

      Thanks in advance!

      Natasha

      Pictures of the eggs, larvae and pupae of UK
      Lepidoptera can be viewed at:
      http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/

      The provisional date of the next AES Annual Exhibition
      at Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury, Middlesex is
      Saturday 1 October 2005, open from 11am to 4.30pm. For
      further details and information on membership of the
      AES see the AES Website at http://www.amentsoc.org/.

      For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug
      Club (open to those under 13) see the AES Bug Club
      website at
      http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub

      Molecular biology

      Terms of Service.

    • Graeme Stroud
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Natasha,

        It looks like a species of Araneus to me. Ruu is right, the (very similar, possibly identical) species Araneus diadematus is very common on this side of the pond. It usually lives in bushes and stuff, spinning a circular web and hiding under a leaf until it catches something. The females especially can grow quite big and fat.

        Regards,

        Graeme

        England