help

  • Nicole
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
      well there is this bug in my house (i can't find it anymore) and i was
      wondering if someone could help me find pictures off all the bugs in
      the world so that i can try to figure out what it is but if anyone
      knows what this bug is please tell me:
      its about 1 and a half inches long maybe longer
      its has lots of legs and the front legs are really short and the
      back legs are almost grasshoper like, they are about maybe an inch long
      it was kind of a light brown and it had like dark orange and black
      stripes
    • Bugclub
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
        Hi Nicole,

        Over a million species of insects and other inveretebrates have been named so far (and there are a lot more to go) so even if there were pictures of them all I don't think you would have time to look through them!

        You need to give a more details if you want anyone to guess at what it
        might be.

        For a start you need to say where you are located (Michigan according to
        your Yahoo membership, so that helps). Insects only have 3 pairs of legs so if it had a lot more you are looking at something else - perhaps something like a House Centipede. There are 4 pictures of these in the files area of this forum at:-

        For a start have a look at these to see if they are like the 'bug' you spotted.

        Reg

        > From: "Nicole" <abercrombie_chick8881@...>
        > Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:27:20 -0000
        > To: bugclub@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [bugclub] help
        >
        > well there is this bug in my house (i can't find it anymore) and i was
        > wondering if someone could help me find pictures off all the bugs in
        > the world so that i can try to figure out what it is but if anyone
        > knows what this bug is please tell me:
        > its about 1 and a half inches long maybe longer
        > its has lots of legs and the front legs are really short and the
        > back legs are almost grasshoper like, they are about maybe an inch long
        > it was kind of a light brown and it had like dark orange and black
        > stripes

        > Pictures of the eggs, larvae and pupae of UK Lepidoptera can be viewed at:
        > http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/
        >
        > The provisional date of the next AES Annual Exhibition at Kempton Park
        > Racecourse, Sunbury, Middlesex is Saturday 1 October 2005, open from 11am to
        > 4.30pm. For further details and information on membership of the AES see the
        > AES Website at http://www.amentsoc.org/.
        >
        > For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug Club (open to those under
        > 13) see the AES Bug Club website at
        > http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Andrew Olson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
          hah, the legs make it sound exactly like a house centipede:
          check these out too, Scutigeromorpha, house centipedes:
          http://bugguide.net/node/view/22/bgpage