mosquito eater?

  • chasecobern
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2005
      I live in southern california.
      Is their such a thing as a mosquito eater? A larger species of
      mosquito that eats normal small mosquitos.
      My brother's Science teacher said there was no such thing as a
      mosquito eater and I have grown up calling these large mosquitos
      this and I would like to know the truth.
    • Bugclub
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2005
        I am afraid the Science Teacher is right, there aren't any large adult
        mosquitoes that eat other mosquitoes.

        There are many species of Crane Flies that look like large mosquitoes and I
        suspect they are the insects you have been told are 'mosquito eaters'. For
        an explanation see for example:-

        http://www.sutter-yubamvcd.org/Mosq-like%20insects.htm

        The following article lists animals that eat mosquitoes and this states that
        the larvae of one non-biting mosquito eats the larvae of other mosquitoes -
        but this would not be the insect you see flying around.

        http://www.mosquito-kill-net.com/Mosquito-Eaters.html