Wooly Bear caterpillar

  • kellykahler
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
      We just found a wooly bear caterpillar between our front and screen
      door on our front porch and wanted to observe it for a few days but
      since we did not find it on or reall near a plant we're not sure
      what to feed it. Any suggestions? We live in N. VA (near D.C.). We
      have some mums, lairope (sp.) and hostas and elm trees by our house.
      We know to keep water sprayed lightly in the "bug box" but don't
      want to put the wrong food or twig in there in case it is harmful to
      him/her. Thanks for any help. - Kelly
    • critterhunterus
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
        Your Wolly Bear eats dandelion, plantain, and many other low growing
        weeds and grasses. This caterpillar lives all winter. That's a
        long time to be feeding a caterpillar. It will make a cocoon in the
        spring. It is the Isabella Tiger Moth when it emerges.

        Lynette

        --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "kellykahler" <kahlerstk@c...> wrote:

        > We just found a wooly bear caterpillar between our front and
        screen
        > door on our front porch and wanted to observe it for a few days
        but
        > since we did not find it on or reall near a plant we're not sure
        > what to feed it. Any suggestions? We live in N. VA (near D.C.).
        We
        > have some mums, lairope (sp.) and hostas and elm trees by our
        house.
        > We know to keep water sprayed lightly in the "bug box" but don't
        > want to put the wrong food or twig in there in case it is harmful
        > him/her. Thanks for any help. - Kelly
      • Bugclub
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
          Assuming it is the Isabella Tiger Moth it would normally hibernate in the
          wild. If you keep it indoors in the warm over the winter it will either change in to a
          chrysalis before it should or it will die. Best thing is to put it back out
          in the garden and let it find a suitable spot to hibernate in.

          Incidentally you should not spray caterpillar food - very few species will
          thrive in a damp atmosphere. If you are rearing them in captivity they
          should be given fresh dry food every day and their cages should be kept
          clean, dry and out of the sun....