Re: [bugclub] Re: New member question

  • Tom Wagner
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
      Here is another beetle that causes trouble.

      Paederus beetles

      From the Net: (no pun intended)
      Paederus beetles live in moist habitats and adults often are active in
      daylight. It should be noted that Paederus species are phylogentically and
      morphologically distinct from "blister beetles" (family Meloidae), i.e.,
      they are not blister beetles. Blister beetles, which also are widely
      distributed, do release a defensive compound when threatened. The chemical
      released (cantharidin - a bicyclic terpenoid), however, is quite different
      from pederin.

      See:
      http://www.forces.gc.ca/health/information/health_promotion/Engraph/BeetleJuice_e.asp

      Hope you get better fast!

      Tom Iowa
    • baroness94
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2004
        I would like to thank all the people that responded to my question.
        I got lots of information (some of which I didn't like). I am sorry
        it has taken so long to get back to the club. My poison ivy went
        systemic and I have been off/on sick the past few weeks.
        OK, back to the bug question - I have identified the bug that down
        here is called a "bubble bug" or "blister beetle". Up north (where I
        am originally from), this same bug is called a "stink bug".
        I got this info from a friend that didn't make the connection between
        his unidentified blister and the stink bug that he saw. When I told
        him about my episode and showed him the scars left, his were
        identical, but smaller.
        Once again, thank you all for your information and assistance.

        Beth